abandoned places in huntsville, alabama

4040 Independence Drive looked like an abandoned movie theater, but it looks like it has recently become a drug addiction clinic. Although the spot where the Dallas Mill was is now open field, legend has it was once haunted by a man who died while working there. The Classic - Maple Hill Cemetery Graveyards are a classic Halloween icon, and Huntsville offers the oldest operating cemetery in the Southeast in its two-century-old Maple Hill Cemetery. Locals tell a tale of playground sounds that can be heard at night: children laughing, playing and having fun. Traveler's Rest in Eastaboga in Talladega County. Copyright , 2008-2018 haunted-places-to-go.com She was definitely real and there was an attempt to move her grave, but they were unable to locate it. If you tell no one they will leave you alone. Work with you. While this would not at all seem unusual in standard circumstances, this vehicle disappears without a trace! Alabama is fond of getting into Hell it seems. Use the "Browse" or "Choose File" button below to select an image to upload along with your comment. Folks say that when you stand outside the crypt, you can hear the rocking chair rocking. The home incorporated numerous decorative features and other. Established in 1822, Maple Hill Cemetery is Huntsville, Alabama's oldest cemetery. Wont to no if we can investagate this place.we are from ardmore tn.southernghost hunters.we have the old hospital in fayetteville tn.its only 5 of us and would love to investagate your place.call me 9312920256 bobby patterson. Private property should be respected at all times, as should all posted signs concerning trespassing, hours of operation and other local regulations. Your CommentsHave a photograph taken from this location? You may see orbs and streaks of light from the active spirits at this cemetery across from Mount Pisgah Church. My research turned out that it was a boy i had went to school with. View the Map. Nearby Haunted Places. Huntsville, Alabama 24 miles from Decatur, AL. Voice your opinion here! It is said that Sally Carter, who died there, died either from illness, a fall down the stairs or she was murdered. Alabama's travel guide, information for your next Alabama vacation. Since that time, there have been reports of swings moving on their own, sounds of children playing and giggling and other activity that makes this one of the spooky places to visit if youre into that thing. Legend has it that Bibb still isnt happy about his relocation, and on a full moon, a carriage drawn by white horses shows up to take him home to Belle Mina. Pretend they do. Prior to getting to the location, you must cross over a bridge that is relatively old and constructed of wood that seems flimsy in nature. Bibb owned a plantation in Limestone County, and wanted to buried at his beloved Belle Mina plantation, but his wishes were not honiored when he died, as he is buried atMaple Hill Cemetery. It is said to be haunted by the men and women who died during the raid. Although I did lose my car keys there randomly as if they disappeared out of my pocket! ABANDONED AMUSEMENT PARK | SPACE CITY USA | HUNTSVILLE ALABAMA | EXPLORING THE REMAINS Abandoned Water Tower https://youtu.be/3YIQts9io88 Abandoned Office Building. I went real slow. It is said that in one of the crypts stands an antique rocking chair, a favorite possession of a lady who was buried in her family crypt. Log in By using this site, you agree to certain Terms and Conditions. Hollers from the Hollows: Ghost Stories and Spooky Tales From DeKalb County, Alabama . The spirits that live here are said to be former owner John P. Adams, his wife May and his son, Marion. Huntsville Alabama is one of the most popular ghost towns in all of the state. The kkk stuff is real. I flipped it off. 0.5 mi. 1.4 mi . Please note: It is your responsibility to acquire appropriate permissions before investigating any location listed on this site. We went up there one night. I was chased by these people. That was my first clue.) An abandoned car from the old West Blocton Coke Ovens. She is occasionally seen by staff and patrons wandering through the building, and is believed to be responsible for a variety of other paranormal activity reported. Each home has it's own unique style which makes it stand out amid the modern homes we see today. Id like whatever youre smoking. Other family members laughed it off, but an inspection of her burial plot revealed it indeed had fallen over due to stormy weather. That was some real life scary stuff. Ask about hauntings if you want, but dont worry about the little ones getting spooked when you visit. The devil worshipers only dress up & go in the woods for sacrifices. Tell us which spooky tales . Your CommentsHave a photograph taken from this location? This building, constructed in 1856, has a rich and interesting history. One blocked a power line or tva entrance that led across to monte sano mtn. One guy lost his keys, had to bust out the window to get back in the car. David Hitt is a native of Huntsville who enjoys telling the stories of his hometown. A friend told me and i verified him in our school year book without a doubt. This building has been on the Huntsville square since the early 1800s, and there have been reports of a ghost that roams the upstairs. Nothing. Maple Hill Cemetery. Wrong: He might disappear but in most cases he turns around and goes back up. They were a good ways past the nature trail if I recall. Click to see Abandoned Alabama, parts 1-3, then find more links to photos of abandoned Alabama on the last slide. John's apparition has been seen in the parlor and Civil War museum area, and Marion is seen in the children's room upstairs. If you go on Google Maps and follow Shawdee (which is fairly confusing to anyone unfamiliar with the area) until it becomes Green Mountain, you can still see an image of the gates in street view in one of the curves. While visiting the house, a relative, Sally Carter, died of a short illness at the mansion in 1837. Many "ghost hunters" have been arrested because they failed to contact property owners and/or local authorities ahead of time. (Source: Panamerican Consultants Inc. Facebook page). Rumored to be haunted by an old man ghost with a fondness for flammables as well as a young boy who is often heard laughing. ago Where at?? Its lights were ghostly & chased us down the hill. They let their fear mess with them. This route ran from Aliceville to Mobile and was largely abandoned after the swing bridge over Tombigbee River collapsed in the summer of 1973. Staff and visitors have reported the apparitions of various amputees in the main bedroom Locals tell a story that this building once was occupied by a young girl, Molly, who died in the 1930s or 1940s. One Nate I woke up to two morons screaming for me to drive. Click "thumbs up" if you think its haunted, or "thumbs down" if you think its all just a tall tale. The land this was built on was at one time a cemetery. Huntsville, Alabama. Green Mountain A.K.A "Hell's Gate" If you want to find a haunted place to go that will truly frighten you, then what is referred to as "Hell's Gate" at the base of Green Mountain in Huntsville, Alabama is the perfect destination. I told one old person back when I was a teen. The Highland Theatre located on Highland Avenue in Montgomery, Alabama, was designed and built in the late-1940s by some of the city's most prominent architects and businessmen. It is said that a mysterious fog covers this area day or night, and it surrounds the gravestones. Listing provided by ValleyMLS. So I wouldnt advise wandering those woods. The Office had no record of her being buried there. Alabama has a lot of haunted bridges. I saw them yrs ago. Various urban legends have arisen around the claims that Cry Baby Hollow and the bridge going across it are haunted. In order to get to the location, you must drive through a road that carves a path out between the spooky trees that seem to surround and engulf you all at once. Every time she turned she swore she saw a creepy man following her. Strange thing, Ghost Hunter Alabama posted. The tree growing around this piece of farm equipment looks like an elephants foot. To see this page as it is meant to appear, please enable your Javascript. Who knows if thats true. It's impossible to see from the road, but if you wander around the area during the day you might catch a glimpse of it. W. Y. The Lowry House is located at 1205 Kildare St NW. She got me and didnt tell me for years. Maple Hill Park is located at 1351 McClung Ave. They drove a white 1970s camero, black 70s camero and a black s10 truck. 5.3 mi. However, that doesn't stop the tales from being told and retold. There were gates on the other side of the mountain up on top. Next photo Dont get hocus pocus. Meridianville, AL (10.0 mi.) Nearby Haunted Places. If you start talking they may come get you one night. Cookie Settings/Do Not Sell My Personal Information. They chased me. We make up stories to scare ourselves. The GM&O elected not to rebuild and the line was subsequently abandoned in stages. New Hope, AL (6.4 mi.) Im old. You are likely to hear mysteriously spooky chants, screams for which there is no source, hear running and walking all around you, and other unexplained phenomenon. (Source: Mike Sims via Forgotten Alabama). Find museums in Huntsville, AL, Dead Children's Playground - Maple Hill Cemetery, Off Campus Book Store - University of North Alabama, University of North Alabama - Romeo and Juliet statues, Wesleyan Hall - University of North Alabama, Norton Auditorium - University of North Alabama. What do you think? There's an abandoned two story house on old railroad on the right heading north before you get to Nick Davis. See the problem with both groups is you never know who they are. So I kept slowing down & making it slow. This poor sot is apparently bedeviled by the locals, who like to drive up to his gates and wait and see if anything spooky happens. Click "thumbs up" if you think its haunted, or "thumbs down" if you think its all just a tall tale. This attraction is known as Dead Children's Playground. Close-up view of a home in Columbiana in Shelby County. Caretakers have experienced unexplained incidents, but theyve all been positive, apparently. Half way down there is an old green house on left with bushes in front. Must have turned down side road. Marion and Greensboro: Interesting People, Places and Food Alabama's Black Belt region . This historic hotel is the home of a disruptive entity known only as 'the knocker.' It gets its name from the fact that when it appears on the sixth floor, knocking loudly on hotel room doors in the dead of night! Gurley, AL (10.9 mi.) On the grounds of this popular cemetery, down some paths that display the beauty of the trees and plants of Alabama, there is a small section that was developed into a playground. Price cut: $3,000 (Apr 25) Previous photo. Listed below are 10 haunted places in Alabama that will most definitely send chills down your spine. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. A baby is said to have died there, either from murder, a car accident, a wagon accident from pioneer days, or variations on the theme. In woods in the area I was hiking as a teen. We went off the trail a couple times and back to the tomb thingwe saw a spot where all the trees were cleared and it was hollow underneath..Thats when he started following us Do you think that that was the mans tomb..the PIONEER maybe that FOUNDED the place but died a couple decades back??? Thats rich. We used to stop by the gates at night back in the 90s. The girl appears to be black , usually not being able to see a driver. So I slept night there in truck few times. Now, unless you knew exactly where they used to be, its nearly impossible to distinguish from any other gap between trees. Required fields are marked *. 3.9 mi. Another notable abandonment was the Tennessee, Alabama And Georgia Railway, the "TAG Route." Your email address will not be published. Sorry, you have Javascript Disabled! But real life is scary enough. But someone always sees them. 0 Bebesworldbsby 1 min. Listed below are 10 of the most haunted places in Alabama, and they'll leave you terrified. An old giant generator of some sort sits off the side of the trail. At the WHBC frat house, they say former Youth Minister Anthony Stephens' spirit walks through the house later at night. He may flush the toilet as well. your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable. You never know who they are. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. Ill admit they were scared as crap for days. Please share them with us onFacebook,TikTokandInstagram, and be sure tosubscribe to our newsletterso you dont miss announcementson whats happening in and around Huntsville. The two morons swear up & down that the saw a tall dark shadow. Huntsville, Alabama, 35801 United States 34.7315, -86.5652 . Visitors here may see ghostly children coming out to play. Your email address will not be published. As you go up from bailey cove rd, stay straight, dont veer right. Came across devil worshipers eating a live dog. They had weed growing back there too. Private property should be respected at all times, as should all posted signs concerning trespassing, hours of operation and other local regulations. Your CommentsHave a photograph taken from this location? Lots of murders have bern committed on that mtn over decades. The ghost of a boy who died there is said to haunt the park. But unarmed & inexperienced; Id pass on that. If you want to find a haunted place to go that will truly frighten you, then what is referred to as Hells Gate at the base of Green Mountain in Huntsville, Alabama is the perfect destination. Like any state, Alabama is filled with schools that are no longer needed. There are three different tours through various sections of town: Old Towne Historic District, Twickenham Historic District, and Haunted Downtown. I have been up. If you are looking to experience the ghost town of haunted Huntsville, Alabama, this is one location that should not be overlooked. Check for directions, hotels, room rates, view photos, and read the reviews and traveler tips for the city of Huntsville,Alabama! 4.0 mi. Start in the northwest corner of the beautiful cemetery to see its oldest graves, but read up on the stories of the graves of the Bibb family and others to learn where to go for experiences like the rocking chair that continues to rock. That might be a first. Some have stated that they have seen the actual apparitions of apparently spiritual children. Ive lived in huntsville since I was 9 and Sally Carter absolutely died of a bronchial illness there. Huntsville's Historic Depot was built in 1860 and is the oldest surviving train depot in Alabama, and is said to be haunted by Civil War soldiers. 1.0 mi. We are taught if you make it out tell no one. You all sound full of shit. 1. The area sure was. Ive been up there. I saw a black car appear behind us. During the Confederate occupation General John Bell resided there and during the Union occupation, General Sherman himself stayed at Wesleyan. Dead Children's Playground - Maple Hill Cemetery . Graveyards are a classic Halloween icon, and Huntsville offers the oldest operating cemetery in the Southeast in its two-century-old Maple Hill Cemetery. Im descended from a voo doo queen. . Huntsville offers ghost walks on Friday and Saturday nights during the months of September and October. Multiple times. I worked there as a jailor in the county jail there in the old part when it was on the 2nd floor. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Huntsville Mobile Montgomery Beaches & Gulf Coast. April 16, 2023. Triana, AL (12.6 mi.) (Source: Wil Elrick) Another abandoned. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Is this place really haunted? Follow that rd til it ends. of Alabama, Oak Manor Plantation is abandoned . Sure we hunters do it; but we are the most dangerous thing in the woods. An elevator that runs by itself. By continuing to use our site you agree to ourprivacy notice. Huntsville, Alabama. Arundel Castle - The Haunted Place In Sussex, England. I went by the cemetery in an attempt to find out where her grave was. Redstone Arsenal, AL (11.4 mi.) In 1862, the Depot was occupied by Union forces and used as a prison for Confederate soldiers. It's easy to get to and is a lot if fun to visit in Halloween. My fianc is a security guard and were allowed to stay. Although, we werent chased away by anything. The first reports of a haunting was around 1919 after a teenage boy who slept at the house had a dream about her tombstone falling over. Her ghost story is a Hoax. The Cedarhurst Mansion Estate was originally built in 1823 by Stephen Ewing. Read more 0 Frat House - Heritage Bible College Bonus tip: While youre there, check out Railroad Station Antique Mall across the street. Several hotel guests have had ghostly encounters during their stay. Huntsville, Alabama. We went multiple times & slept in vehicle. Huntsville, Alabama The Cedarhurst Mansion Estate was originally built in 1823 by Stephen Ewing. Youll never know. Call 256-649-0245. If they catch you they will kill you. 6.2 mi. It may not be one of Huntsvilles best-known haunted sites, but it has some of the best pizza. They say my magic is too strong to be affected. Huntsville, Alabama. I used to laugh at that. Where: 218 W. Battle Street, Talladega. . Leaving many to believe her spirit still lurks in the house. Huntsville, Alabama. Nothing more, nothing less. While visiting the house, a relative, Sally Carter, died of a short illness at the mansion in 1837. Hes the author of two books on space history, Homesteading Space and Bold They Rise.". House near Mount Hope in the Sipsey Wilderness. Maple Hill Cemetery. They told me everyone hopes they go away. In fact, Hyde says a full-bodied apparition was seen in the kitchen. Cookies are used for measurement, ads and optimization. Buy newspaper front pages, posters and more. Madison, AL (10.3 mi.) Abandoned Alabama: Take a photo tour of haunting derelict homes, buildings, Abandoned Alabama Part 2: The ghosts of cities past, Abandoned Alabama Part 3: Ice Cream Castle, Jemison insane asylum, Masonic Lodge. HauntedPlaces.org makes no claims that any of the statements posted here are factually accurate. playgrounds haunted graveyards cemeteries . Outlaw House December 12, 2022 | City/Town: Mobile He works as a communications contractor supporting NASAs Marshall Space Flight Center. Abandoned Places In Alabama 1. Many "ghost hunters" have been arrested because they failed to contact property owners and/or local authorities ahead of time. Halloween is approaching, and you certainly wouldnt want to be found without the soul for getting down while visiting Huntsville. The most infamous haunted location in Alabama is The Tutwiler Hotel in downtown Birmingham. Doors opened and closed of their own accord, and smaller items were frequently broken or went missing. Jack Cole Road is a dirt road in a densely wooded area off Highway 7. But heres whats weird. We were warned if you see the Klan just mind your business & tell no one. Laugh if you want but there are real things to fear in this world. Huntsville: To the Moon and Back By Dinner . This floor is allegedly haunted by an inmate who hanged himself in one of the cells, where visitors have reported feeling a sad presence. (Source: Tony Myrick via Forgotten Alabama). All Rights Reserved. I told no one. If you follow Shawdee itll turn into Green Mountain Road (or drive; I cant remember, exactly), and its there that the gates used to be (in an attempt to stop the flow of teenagers to the spot, they were removed). The Cedarhurst Mansion Estate was originally built in 1823 by Stephen Ewing. The Grave of Miss Baker. Huntsville, AL 35805. The last house up on top on the right was one of their lookout friends. An historical marker with a bronze bell mounted atop it is located at the intersection of Marston Avenue and Coolidge Circle. It is said that if one drives to the gate and turns to get out easily, a phantom vehicle will appear that is rather sinister in order to scare the visitor off. The ghost of an old woman and her dog is said to wander the area around Desoto Falls. There's something behind Dairy Queen on University that looks like abandoned apartments, probably one of the top 10 places to get shot in Ive hunted woods in that large area my whole life. The tours are held every Friday and Saturday night in September and October, with three walking routes both months and a trolley tour that runs in October. What: Former Talladega City Hall, built 1892. Zillow has 486 homes for sale in Alabama matching Historic. Your email address will not be published. They swore they saw a dark shadow get in a very old dark car. Old Dallas Mill Site. Moores Mill, AL (9.9 mi.) A LOT. Does anyone know of any abandoned buildings / Schools / etc around the Huntsville area. A real old black car appeared out of the mist. His spirit has been seen wearing a white zoot suit, and he may try to catch a ride with you to Florence. When I was in Pre k my grandma went up to look around. Use the "Browse" or "Choose File" button below to select an image to upload along with your comment. The ghost town of Huntsville Alabama should be on the top of your list for spectacular haunted places to go! This includes furniture being moved around and pillows being removed and scattered throughout the house. But they know who you were because they saw you. The home of a former Alabama governor, it is reportedly haunted. The deterioration of the oldest graves makes it difficult to give an exact date of . Old barn in the Sipsey Wilderness near Mount Hope. Return To Haunted Huntsville Top Of Page Disclaimer: The stories posted here are user-submitted and are, in the nature of "ghost stories," largely unverifiable. Ghost-hunting is rarely more delicious than the pizza and gelato at Sam and Gregs. However, they say eventually the happy noises turn to unhappy ones, as if the children are screaming for their lives. Required fields are marked *. Reportedly haunted by the ghost of a young singer who died on the night of her greatest triumph. Frat House - Heritage Bible College. But I did. Corey Gilmore. For example, the Alabama Constitution Hall Park offers a look at what life was like in Alabama in the 1800s, while the North Alabama Railroad Museum and the Historic Huntsville Depot highlight the history of train travel in north Alabama. If you've had a paranormal experience here, or have any additional information about this location, please let us know! Your email address will not be published. Not scary. To make matters worse, in the 1970s a Vietnam vet had a flashback and shot 4 hotel guests to Ah no backwoods town is complete without the story of the Witch in the Woods who sold her soul to the devil, lived in a shack (because if you sold your soul to the devil, all you'd want out of it was a shack in the middle of some hillbilly Dwight Mill Village is a housing development built by the Dwight Manufacturing Company to house workers for its cotton mill. In 1862, the Depot was occupied by Union forces and used as a prison for Confederate soldiers. His father killed him up there and dumped his body not far from where i saw his ghost. 3 bds; 2 ba; 1,888 sqft - House for sale. St. James Hotel - Selma, AL flickr/damian entwistle The St. James Hotel, located within the historic district of Selma, is one of the most haunted places in Alabama. Thats the gates that lead to monte sano. They didnt turn rotors; I went to friends & took them to be turned; new pads, problem solved. But got lost ( as it is easily to get lost up there) she wandered through the woods. Address: South Green Mountain Road S. Huntsville, AL United States Get Directions GPS: 34.5790846, -86.49377040000002 County: Madison County, Alabama Nearest Towns: Owens Cross Roads, AL (2.1 mi.) Interior of an abandoned home in Luvern, Ala. Its beautiful but there were a lot of evil on that place. Voice your opinion here! Once after getting new brakes I nearly got killed on that dang road. The Office Lady then assisted me in contacting the city for birth, death and burial records of Sally Carter. Nothing more than some spooky old gates to drive by. by Real Haunts Team June 2, 2021. Nothing scares me. This haunted playground in Alabama attracts numerous paranormal investigators from near and far, and you can read all about it below. However, the legend is that Sallys casket was empty when it was moved. There are some to claim that they have heard the whispers and laughter of children when visiting. This historic museum operated as a hospital during the civil war, so the rumours of haunting's appear to have a leg to stand on; which can't be said for some of the apparitions supposedly reported. She ended up at a highway in New Hope. An old truck on a farm in Auburn is pinned in by trees growing around it. They were no joke years ago. If you park, you are likely to hear wails that reflect that of a baby crying. Some say the Civil War Era Depot museum, one of the most iconic buildings in town, may also be the most haunted building in Huntsville. Paint Rock, AL (10.9 mi.) Many people believe the ghost is that of the Governor's son who died in the Civil War. HauntedPlaces.org makes no claims that any of the statements posted here are factually accurate. A black car was following us. The specific claim that is most often repeated is that of a hanged slave that appears in the trees. Sloss Furnaces - Birmingham, Alabama wikimedia commons James "Slag" Wormwood, a foreman during the graveyard shift in the early 1900's, was over a crew of nearly 150 workers. Do not drive down fast. I moved off the mountain. What do you think? While visiting the house, a relative, Sally Carter, died of a short illness at the mansion in 1837. Abandoned church next to Woodlawn Cemetery in the Woodlawn community of Jefferson County. Their screaming woke me & I took off. var sc_project=4038463;var sc_invisible=1;var sc_partition=46;var sc_click_stat=1;var sc_security="e91bdc73"; google_ad_client="pub-4520119733373775";google_ad_slot="8113498069";google_ad_width=336;google_ad_height=280; Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it? Most people who see them dont live to tell. Return To Haunted Places To Go Home Page. April 16, 2023. Return To Ghost Towns Main Page According to legend, a female student was killed while she was trying to sneak out after curfew. It is also considered to be the absolute largest. An incredible way to experience local history. 2023 Advance Local Media LLC. While there has been no confirmation as to whether or not this is factual, the locals stand by the stories. Hope painted on its roof. Required fields are marked *. The current owners of the Moody Brick claim that the old plantation is definitely not haunted. She is still buried somewhere in Cedarhurst, but by now even her bones would have likely disintegrated. On your left side the gates where there where it turned left at the rear corner of pond. These abandoned arsenal bunkers are now the site of Top Trails, an off-highway vehicle park at 1247 Horne Drive in Talladega, Ala. Voices have been heard, and electrical appliances and other articles have been tampered with or inexplicably stopped working. The Old South Pittsburg Hospital was built in 1959 and is located on the foothill of South Pittsburg Mountain, in South Pittsburg, TN. Huntsville, Alabama. But they claim to have seen demons & ghosts in nearby areas over yrs. Is this place really haunted?

Bobby Welch, Pastor, Articles A

abandoned places in huntsville, alabama