eddie wilson ryanair email address

Ryanair - Europe's Favourite Airline. Just going back to also, you mentioned the Nordic regions, specifically you mentioned Finland, but also you mentioned Scandinavia. But I just think it's important to say you've got to lead things sometimes by saying, "We'll put capacity in place. Eddie Wilson has worked at the airline for 22 years. So is there something different this time that's going to change things? Do you think the switching on of that system, in theory from the 1st of July, is going to make a big difference? I think there's going to be a bubble in the United States, I think as well, and I think transatlantic will be the big corridor that will open. I don't know when that will open in any sort of significant basis, but I think long-haul tourist travel will take longer to recover, and hopefully that will spill over into more short-haul European routes, especially on our 240 destinations throughout Europe.". Eddie was appointed Ryanair CEO in September 2019 having previously served as Ryanairs CPO since December 2002. Release date: 27 April 2023. . So that market, when you looked at it like the Italian market, which would have been a good outbound market, a lot of people decided to stay at home. But this idea that you're going to constrain demand by pricing just cuts people out of it. Fine, if you need to. Prior to that, he held various operational and network planning roles within the Aerberlin Group. You only have to look at our route network of 240 destinations, it's not necessarily about that. RT 2023. You'll have seen some of the announcements that we made initially. So whatever is thrown at us, being a well-capitalised airline really helped us this time. Edward Wilson biography. Mr Wilson said he did not expect a repeat of travel chaos seen in Europe last summer as airports struggled to deal with a return to travel after pandemic lockdowns, but he said "it's not going to be perfect.". Eddie Wilson, Ryanair chief executive: 'We opened 16 bases this year and we opened them because we were opportunistic on cost.' Picture: Fergal Phillips Ryanair's strong balance sheet will afford it the opportunity to aggressively pursue airport discounts and grow its market share at the expense of weakened rivals over the medium-term, its chief executive has said. Okay. But I would say somewhere in the region of 75%. Last updated: 1 April 2023 at 11:00am EST. I think it's been a relatively strong build driven by much lower fares coming back from around a million passengers in April to the five million as we made our way up into June. Hello and welcome to another CAPA Live, and I'm delighted to give a very warm welcome to Eddie Wilson, chief executive of Ryanair DAC, the main operating company of the Ryanair group, which is responsible, I think Eddie, if I'm right, for 250-odd aircraft, which I think is 60% of the group total or thereabouts. Eddie Wilson, CEO of Ryanair DAC, says airline needs a definite date. You can't do it, and all it does is that it constrains supply, and it's based on this notion from those from the higher-fare airlines, that there is some sort of privilege to flying, or that it is discretionary for other classes or whatever, when people travel for lots of reasons. JW: Just going back to a couple of the markets that you mentioned there, you talked about Morocco, and you've obviously got that new base going. It's always been a strength of the group of course, that you do have this diversified network, unlike many of the competitors, which are very focused on one market, so you can operate domestically in all kinds of countries outside Ireland, which is where you originate, because of course the Irish market has been particularly weak, hasn't it? Eddie, the time has gone so fast. JW: Looking at the network, obviously most of your markets are in the EU. Are you confident that that solution will be found in time? We've made a commitment to have 12-and-a-half percent of staff sustainable aviation fuel blenders by 2030. We put about a million and a half and that to work on sustainable aviation fuel, and there's always this call for taxes. For what? You're obviously confident that you could get to 75 to 80% of pre-COVID capacity this summer. So I'm comfortable going to get there, but it's going to take some time to do. I think that all adds together, in particular Morocco, it's not just a beach destination, it's a massive expansive country and it has a great tourist and growing product, not just at the beaches, but in the deserts and the cities that they have there, Marrakesh, Fez, Rabat, places like that. It's transformed people's lives. Industrial relations, because we've got 89 separate locations, it's not like one big location, and most people figure it out pretty quickly that when you're up against a crisis like this, that Ryanair is going to continue to grow. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7c09ccfbd8622d83 From cutting hair to cutting costs! We already have five in Marrakesh, three in Fez. Should airlines pay for what they've done to us? Industrial relations, because we've got 89 separate locations, it's not like one big location, and most people figure it out pretty quickly that when you're up against a crisis like this, that Ryanair is going to continue to grow. Mr OLeary said on Friday that since he joined Ryanair, Mr Wilson had contributed hugely to the airlines growth from three million passengers a year to more than 150 million. Yes. Check out Elliott Advocacy Today, our free, daily newsletter with links to your favorite commentary, tips and news about consumer advocacy. We've been in Morocco since 2006, and we have a very good relationship there and we've grown steadily. They'd have been better off not opening it at all, because they just undermined confidence completely in the UK where people say, I'm not going to book because the government could change its mind. But its complicated. So I think we're in a completely different place this time, and you have Norwegian at a fraction of the size that it was, and you've got places like Copenhagen, which they're just not going to recover their traffic. So are you concerned that there is a growing level of protectionism in Europe, and where is that going to go? I've been here for almost 25 years, and almost every year we talked to Arlanda and never got anywhere, but there's an airport that realises that the incumbent airlines like SAS are not going to grow, and they're hopelessly saddled with state aid that's never going to be paid back, Norwegian capacity has gone, so Arlanda has got to look around and who's going to get the volume? I think we're seeing that we originally had said we're going to be north of 60% of capacity and reasonably confident for the summer months, that we will get up to around 75[%] to 80% of capacity for this summer. I think you'll see that in Europe initially, when this works, that people will be able to move around Europe, which coincidentally suits us as an airline. Images Courtesy of Getty Images. Check out Elliott Advocacy Today, our free, daily newsletter with links to your favorite commentary, tips and news about consumer advocacy. All other use is prohibited. So what are Ryanair's targets and how you're going to get to them? JW: This brings me on to the question of airline consolidation. But you would like to think that when you have a growing market like that, that you'll be able to add onto those destinations, but I'm in no hurry to go to another country. She joined Ryanair in 1991 and has held various senior finance roles. What we take for granted, particularly in Europe is we're going to be able to get onto an aircraft, we're going to get off the other end, we're not going to have any hassle, we're going to have to show our passport. Photograph: Garrett White. Ryanair has restructured itself as a holding group company comprising several airlines, with Mr OLeary as overall chief executive. Coming at it from different angles, there is that environmental argument, but there's also a protectionism angle to it as well. Talking at the CAPA Live on 9-Jun-2021, Ryanair DAC CEO Eddie Wilson spoke with CAPAs senior financial analyst Jonathan Wober. But that seems to be more important than restoring connectivity, but the government or whatever seemed to be caught in the headlights of the medics more so than any other country in Europe. About Us. Mr Wilson (55) is a 22-year Ryanair veteran, who as chief people officer, has led negotiations with pilot and crew unions that Ryanair recognised in late 2017. Yeah, I think it's important. Ryanair has turned to Eddie Wilson, a veteran executive of 22 years, as its new chief executive amid a tumult of strikes and stiffening competition and a . Fleet plans, the 737 MAX, the impact of the delay, and now it's coming in finally, the impact it's going to have on you going forward? Yeah, I think so. ", Mr O'Leary said he hoped his successor will be successful in his new role, "particularly as we enter into very difficult times, not least of which will be the challenges posed by Brexit at the end of October, resolving the Boeing MAX aircraft delays, and cutting and/or closing some bases to accommodate the fact that we will have at least 30 fewer aircraft than planned this winter, and possibly the same number, or even more, again next summer.". Fine, if you need to. So I'm comfortable going to get there, but it's going to take some time to do.". Ryanair Sustainable Aviation Research Centre. You only have to look at our route network of 240 destinations, it's not necessarily about that. Whereas, the focus quite rightly there is on what are the emissions, electric vehicles, etc.? JW: Right. Again, there's always something, in my experience, that happens every five or seven years here, whether that's volcanic ash or previous issues that we've had, whether it was foot and mouth disease or whatever happened, and we've always come out of these, even through the last financial crisis, we've come out stronger. We opened a base in Venice Treviso, we had just announced the base in Turin. We have no difficulty throughout this COVID crisis with governments having some form of bail out in all sorts of industries where we've had payroll supports or special things put in for the hospitality industry, etc. proven methods for fixing any consumer problem. Clearly that's very strong compared to much of the industry, but it's a long way below your pre-COVID levels of mid 90%. Mar 1997 - Sep 201922 years 7 months. Southwest just got a one-two punch for its holiday misdeeds. You look some of the countries were most successful in, like Italy where small businesses, typical family businesses down there have got six, seven people, they need to meet people, they need to bring their samples with them, et cetera. We've had the longest lockdowns here. Andreas remained as CEO of Laudamotion following its acquisition by the Ryanair Group. He was appointed Ryanair CEO in September 2019, having previously served as Ryanairs CPO since December 2002. You can sell anything if the price is right, but what we have here is that you've got a period where you're trying to get back to some level of normality and it's important that you get as many people travelling as possible. But this idea that you're going to constrain demand by pricing just cuts people out of it. I think in fact, it's the biggest airline fleet in Western Europe. Ryanair will likely trim some flights in August due to delivery delays from Boeing but there will be no material impact on customers, its senior executive Eddie Wilson said in an interview today. You're trying to build the network and from secondary airports into major cities at that time. RT is not responsible for the content of external internet sites. What we did was we cut a lot of frequencies in some markets, but we have tried to keep as many routes open as possible because the booking curve had shortened; it was very difficult to make calls on closing particular routes. It's always been a strength of the group of course, is that you do have this diversified network, unlike many of the competitors, which are very focused on one market, so you can operate domestically in all kinds of countries outside of Ireland, which is where you originate, because of course the Irish market has been particularly weak, hasn't it? That's fine, but this isn't the time for it. Note: If youre having customer service trouble, please use our proven methods for fixing any consumer problem before contacting the company directly. "Now you have, notwithstanding the effects of COVID, but the bureaucracy that has come up on this, I don't know how many queries I get a day from people who should be well capable of finding out what the requirements are from each country because it changes all the time, that people are reluctant: Do I need an antigen test? "It won't be material, it won't affect people, because all the bookings aren't in for August," he added. "You are seeing the thing in terms of the state aid that's going around and in particular, no strings attached on to state aid on giving up slots. Just going back to a couple of the markets that you mentioned there, you talked about Morocco, and you've obviously got that new base going. I don't know why airlines have this hold over governments when we've got over that in countries like the UK and Ireland, where national airlines no longer exist anymore. Were always here to help. I guess a cynic would say that you've been trying for many, many years and never quite managed to establish Ryanair in that region as well as you have done in other regions. Thank you so much for all or your candour. So I think there's going to be opportunity for those that are strong and growing, and I think over time most of those airlines are going to find it hard to get back to pre-COVID levels. You ask anyone on the street, who's going to survive this crisis, people say Ryanair, and our employees are no different, and unions are a function of the employees that you have. What do we take for granted in travel? While we aim for 100% accuracy in the transcript, there may be some minor transcribing errors. No, quite. I don't know when that will open in any sort of significant basis, but I think long-haul tourist travel will take longer to recover, and hopefully that will spill over into more short-haul European routes, especially on our 240 destinations throughout Europe. No one would have wished this crisis, but it seems like there's maybe been more opportunity than the negative outcome for Ryanair. They can do that for airlines, but they have to do it on a non-discriminatory basis, and they should have done that on the basis of restoring traffic, rather than just giving it to airlines that are never, ever going to pay it back. We still don't have indoor dining in Ireland, and it's the one country where you need indoor dining in July. All rights reserved. So I think there's going to be opportunity for those that are strong and growing, and I think over time, most of those airlines are going to find it hard to get back to pre-COVID levels. var theDate = new Date(); Eddie Wilson, Ryanair's chief executive officer, said it would create at least 60 jobs: https://bbc.in/3Aca1jd Two aircraft will be based at Newcastle Airport from March 2022 as Ryanair increases its routes. Mein Nisinta Seirbhse Poibl na hireann. It's not necessarily that we are switching capacity, and I know you'll get onto this, but we have 210 aircraft on order. Did we mention it's free? In an internal memo to staff, Mr O'Leary said, "Eddie has made a huge contribution to that successful growth, without ever losing his Southside accent, his boyish charm of his Northside address!!! Do I have to pay this service bill? JW: Do you ever think there's still an ongoing concern or danger that the progress with vaccinations is almost the same reason why international travel is still going to be held back, because people have this domestic bubble that's going well, but they don't want to let anybody else in and spoil it? We've been in Morocco since 2006, and we have a very good relationship there and we've grown steadily. And you will see that governments, where they've got board members (on airlines), will have influence maybe on connections to China or wherever they think is best economically, rather than running up and down to Majorca or up and down to the Balearic Islands. He will report to Mr O'Leary, alongside the chief executives of the other airlines, Michal Kaczmarczy of Polish subsidiary, Buzz, Andreas Gruber of Austrian carrier, Lauda and Diarmuid O'Conghaile of Malta Air, Ryanair Holdings' latest addition. Gotcha! Eddie Wilson has been appointed CEO of Ryanair DAC. So you will have seen, we're into Helsinki now, we have launched, I think eight or 10 routes up there, we will have a base in Stockholm, Arlanda. There are some markets where we've done particularly strongly and even throughout this, like the Italian domestic market, and also the Spanish domestic market. Chief People Officer. So are you concerned that there is a growing level of protectionism in Europe, and where is that going to go? So has that proved to be a strong demand market in the current environment? Prior to this he served as Head of Personnel since December 1997. Carol is responsible for maintaining our industry-leading safety record and is the reason we all get to sit back, relax and enjoy the flight! "But I think that will gradually make its way through Europe. What you have seen is that you have seen at Norwegian, you have seen other airlines cancelling orders, and you have airlines that are saddled with government debt, and there's no way that governments are going to countenance so-called national carriers not paying back money and then wanting to have big capital expenditure programmes. So we'll wait and see, but there are strong pockets of markets that never really went backwards. Informa Markets, a trading division of Informa PLC. That's without any domestics or anything there.". How do I get it fixed? Laurence Frost and Conor Humphries. Once we deliver on those commitments, I would say that people will see, exactly as they've seen over the years, even in a pre-union environment that we are straight up in how we do our business and the vast majority of our people recognise that. "You can't do it, and all it does is that it constrains supply, and it's based on this notion from those from the higher-fare airlines, that there is some sort of privilege to flying, or that it is discretionary for other classes or whatever, when people travel for lots of reasons. Do I need this? Would that be fair to say? Confirming the news, Mr OLeary told staff in a note that Mr Wilson would take up his new role immediately, and this will start a transition process over the next three months of taking over from myself. He joined Ryanair from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt where he was Vice-President of Engineering and Product Operations; Director of Platform Development; and Software Development Programme Manager. "There are no real airlines to go in there to fill the type of gap that Ryanair can do with the type of And we're the only airline taking delivery at that sort of capacity over the next number of years. Buzz has 25 of the groups craft, Lauda has 16 while Ryanair intends moving 60 planes to Malta Airs airline licence. If people are anxious about travelling, or if they're not even allowed to travel because of international restrictions, what is the role of discounting? It's great fun for the starter, but for the main course, it's usually a hail storm. The individual Ryanair group airlines will compete with each other for cash and craft allocated by the parent. As I say, there's over 60 of them arriving for summer '22, and we're just working through where they're going to go at the moment. So those markets have done well, and we have been picking up an awful lot more capacity into places like the Greek islands and that, where there were more slots available this summer, in anticipation, I suppose that we're going to have a longer summer here one way or the other, whether that's going to stretch into October and potentially beyond that. Do I need this? We put three extra aircraft into Rome Fiumicino, we put extra aircraft into Naples, Bologna, various other places around Italy. View the profiles of people named Eddie Wilson. So we put an awful lot more capacity in there. REUTERS/Ints Kalnins/File Photo. JW: The load factor that run has been achieving is in the low 70s in percentage terms. Then once that works, then you can add more aircraft.". I take what you say in there, but it does have some basis in incremental travel. Contact the BBC; Make an editorial complaint; BBC emails for you; Yeah. Taking place on the second Wednesday of each month, thousands of industry colleagues from across the globe tune in for their monthly dose of aviation and travel news, analysis, and in-depth interviews with industry leaders. Eamon Quinn. We kept our balance sheets strong, and we always thought it was going to be an interruption at sometime but never of this magnitude. Edward Wilson is 56, he's been the Chief Executive Officer of Ryanair Plc since 2019. So what are Ryanair's targets and how you're going to get to them? Do I need a PCR test? For the rest of Europe, you don't even have to show a passport and nobody challenges, and you move on your way, which is just a fantastic way transport is being deregulated. It comes after Michael O'Leary - the CEO of the Ryanair . He was in the news most recently when Ryanair succeeded in getting a High Court order halting a strike by Irish-based pilots. Corporate Head Office , Swords Business Park, Swords D Co. Dublin, Ireland https://www.ryanair.com/us/en, Primary ContactEddie WilsonCEOCorporate Head Office , Swords Business Park, Swords D Co. Dublin, Ireland [emailprotected], Chief ExecutiveMichael (Mick) O'LearyChief Executive Officer Ryanair HoldingsCorporate Head Office , Swords Business Park, Swords D Co. Dublin, Ireland [emailprotected]. John was appointed in 2014. As CEO of the American Association of Private Lenders I provide the vision and leadership for our organization. There are 10 older and 15 younger executives at Ryanair Plc. But I know that the European countries, such as Greece, Spain, Italy, Portugal, want to welcome at the English with open arms. It's such an easy target, but such an essential part of the infrastructure that we're in, and there is a view that is all flying is discretionary. So those type of deals are being struck around Europe as to where capacity is going to go. My American Tourister luggage is defective. They'd have been better off not opening it at all because they just undermined confidence completely in the UK where people say, "I'm not going to book because the government could change its mind." JW: So you did mention briefly fares, average fares, and the question I was going to ask you was to what extent does discounting ticket prices make any difference in this kind of environment? "Most people in this world want to work less and be paid more. "Whereas in a European context, you're always going to be able to get home, and there is a bubble. And you will see that governments, where they've got board members, will have influence maybe on connections to China or wherever they think is best economically, rather than running up and down to Majorca or up and down to the Balearic Islands. If you look at, we would have opened our Stockholm Skavsta base back in 2003 or 2004, and that is a secondary airport and we're still flying there. This idea that we can't use it any more because we've been [an] efficient business model, but we don't want anyone else to have it. JW: Yes. Ryanair's Eddie Wilson said today he did not expect a repeat of travel chaos seen in Europe last summer. "It won't be material, it won't affect people, because all the bookings aren't in for August," said Wilson, the head of Ryanair DAC, the largest airline in the group. So those that had higher frequencies, we paired back. Oh, it's going to be fantastic. How to win your consumer dispute using the Elliott Method.

Where Does Simon Holmes A Court Live, Articles E

eddie wilson ryanair email address