aircraft oil filter shortage

Our observation was based on Tempests claim that the containment cup is an added safety feature. We basically use them as our stock room.. Arbitrary is a poor choice of words here. Over the years aviation oil filters have gotten shorter to help with installation in tight spaces. I've been using AA48108-2 filters on my IO470, and they seem to filter. . Mainly, the biggest thing right now is cylinders. Proprietary Magnet Inspection Aid for SPIN EZ Oil Filters No Longer Available. Turned forum post from MTV into article. https://www.kitplanes.com/a-permanen2022%2F10%2F18, https://vansairforce.net/community/sd.php?t=210564. 1 - Deland, FL 32724. Well, Tempest filter just arrived in my Chief order. I still say oil change oil change times are arbitrary since nothing suddenly happens a certain number of hours so the not infallible manufacturers (if they were infallible we wouldn't have ADs.) However, there is one concern here, and that is low usage aircraft. Central Cylinder in Omaha did my Pponk and I have a filter right on the oil pump. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. 2023 Endeavor Business Media, LLC. Here is an article in KP regarding oil filter alternatives. By-pass valve meets TCM specifications. Champion oil filters are known to keep dirt and harmful particles from damaging your engine. We recently picked Tempest as our choice for oil filters, but Champion disagreed. Always looking for an excuse to fly, unless you want to make it over here (Lenoir City). They say they should be available Oct 24th. The coil spring costs more to manufacture, but we are convinced that the increased cost is well worth the added protection it provides to your engine. A: Tempest oil filters use media with a 40-micron rating. Our patented solid seal lubricant is applied to our oil filter gasket during manufacturing and requires no oil or DC4 compound prior to installation; making the removal process of a stuck filter a thing of the past. I want to keep them for my customers. OK, my last post on this; if don't understand by now you probably never will. Installed under an STC. Kuti said theyre doing that quite a bit with customers, as it speeds up the process. All sizes of spin-on filters are packed 12 per case of a single part number in heavy, re-shippable corrugated-board cartons. Champion brand oil filters are known to keep dirt and harmful particles from damaging your engine. Total Manufacturing Control - Tempest Spin EZ filters are the only aviation oil filters made in a state of the art aviation oil filter plant built solely for, and dedicated to, the manufacture of aviation oil filters. Does anyone know what's going on with the supply issues for Champion Oil Filters? simply pick numbers that are harmonious with our base 10 counting system, i.e. Aircraft engine maintenance, like most things in 2022, is not as straightforward as it used to be. New/Outright. A: Always refer to the engine manufacturers recommendation. Filter material cannot migrate to clog engine oil passages or affect bearing surfaces. So, I purchased it from Chief and it was marked McFarlane. Even if you only get half of what you need, you're halfway there at least.. Then, when we went to order filters, the price had increased about 7% in three months time, which is not typical at all.. PC Housing (Patent Pending) the only filter to incorporate a housing for the by-pass valve to prevent the restriction of the oil outlet should a failure of the by-pass valve occur.Burst strength of 600 psi Significant improvements to the roll seam process used on the bottom of the can substantially improved the design burst strength of the Tempest Spin EZ oil filter to over 600 pounds per square inch, exceeding the ARP 1400 standard by 50 percent. If you see some similarities between the KitPlanes article and the post above yours there is a very good reason. All the suppliers like Aircraft Spruce that I have looked at are either reporting not available, on back order, or have a limited supply @+ $45. Silicone impregnated filter gasket aids in future removal. Brand: Champion Aerospace $ 41.00. We buy stock as much as we can, Kuti said. So far, it hasnt been the case. She said it was most efficient to order online, and to put in remarks I knew it was back ordered. Tempest is what they installed when I got it back. A: We recommend 16-18 ft lbs. In my pre-osh oil filter adaptor issue I found out that 15 or so years ago the previous owner decided to change from 48108s to 48109s. Recommended Products. Heavy, corrugated steel center tube supports each convoluted pleat of the filter element and produces a substantially higher collapse-pressure rating, twice that of other similar filters. Cryer, a mechanic since 1989, started Plane Safe in 2022 and is celebrating their 20th anniversary. Q: What micron rating is your oil filter? Astonished to find this is on a long backorder everywhere (Spruce, Chief, Skygeek). ATTENTION DISTRIBUTORS AND WHOLESALE CUSTOMERS. And I think a lot of it's going to be changing to a newer style engine. Because the manufacturers aren't changing over tooling to build cylinders for an engine that there's just not a lot of them out there, he said. Two Pounds, Lint Free 100% Cotton Rags. Theres documented reasons behind the intervals given by manufacturers. Although great effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the Installation Eligibility reference chart, responsibility for aircraft airworthiness including the installation of approved replacement parts lies with the aircraft owner/operator. All rights reserved. Cryer too is often on the hunt for parts. Shorter installed height shortened can height by approximately , with no impact to the filter medias performance. Customers are also shifting to opt for repairs rather than overhauls. It was missing, realistically, for a little over three weeks. Aircraft Spruce is a worldwide distributor of certified and homebuilt aircraft supplies. All rights reserved. Q: Should I use a short or tall Tempest oil filter for my engine? But now, just because we can't get Champions, we're putting Tempest on as well. This is what I use on my RV10. Plus, no other filters on the market have Champions unique, resin-impregnated, full-pleat design 8.2 feet of layered protection for your engine. The biggest problem we run into is a lot of the large suppliers, they're ordering such large quantities, that when a smaller shop like us puts an order in with a distributor or the manufacturer, we're kind of on the back end of that list, Kuti said. We have a solution! Overhaul is a process of returning a part to service using approved data to clean, inspect, and replace parts as required. But some of these guys, to a certain point, they're going to say, You know what? And here at Pinnacle we do everything within new limits, he said. Can Cutters. Stronger center tube redesigned center tube for added strength with collapse pressures more than double the current design. Cryer reports that over the past seven or eight years, the average flying time of an airplane they were having come in for an annual inspection was around 15 to 20 hours at the most. I was told there was a shortage and it was on back order and they had no idea when it would ship. ALL LEAD TIMES ARE APPROXIMATE. The strain on the supply chain and customer trends are changing the way maintenance is being. Q: Is the AA48110-2 and AA48111 interchangeable? We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Case (6 quarts) $61.75 $15.50. Full Pleat Media The resin-impregnated, cellulosic, full pleat media is designed for uniform flow and collapse resistance. They're hard to get. We have them available. Remember, oil and filter change hours are arbitrary. The filters combine the advantages of both surface and depth-type filtration: high filtering efficiency, controlled porosity for uniform flow, water resistance, and the resistance to impulse and flow fatigue. I prefer Champion, too, and the local supply house I usually go to is out. For instance, last year, Continental kind of changed directions and they pulled a lot of part numbers off their production list. It was absolutely crazy. Ste. Yeah, parts are a task. The biggest thing right now we see, as far as what's hard to get, are oil filters. They just come loose, not in a box like the Champions. Going Q: Is the AA48108-2 and the AA48109 interchangeable? Every time I talk to them, they're getting back in the groove and able to start getting stuff done. $49.50. Coil SpringDuring our field and laboratory testing, the outdated leaf spring design was proven to be susceptible to deformation during cold starts, allowing dirty unfiltered oil to continually circulate back into the engine until the filter is replaced. ended up buying one locally. Lots and lots of supply chain issues now. NOTE: Champion spark plug engine applications approved at publication date are subject to revision by later service bulletins or new editions of this chart. -Advertise in here! Q: Is the AA48103-2 and AA48104 interchangeable? Safety-wire tabs are conveniently located on hex nut for easy access. I called WagAero on 11/29 to order a case of Aeroshell Sport 4. Champion Spin-On Oil Filter CH48108-1. They are just way behind the curve, said Cryer. Item Qualifies for Free Ground Freight (48 States) on Orders Over $350, Tempest 48104 Spin-Ez Oil Filter, Bulk Packaging. But I would say, the bulk of our business is going to be the piston segment, Cryer said. Six-packs are economical, convenient, and easy to handle. We understand that the diagrams were not published due to space constraints, but the article did mention our position on the lack of effectiveness the magnet provides. FXE: 954-493-9262. And we get the same thing from other shops in the area, he said. Note: Tempests replacement recommendation is the same for both short and tall filters. If their engine comes in for repair, they'll stick to staying a repair just because when they find out how long it may take to get cylinders, it kind of scares them off, he said. It looks like some of that oil is listed on amazon. Although great effort has been made to ensure accuracy and completeness, Aero Accessories/Tempest assumes no responsibility for the information contained within this document. We're taking the engine. Canadian pilot Matt Wall was tired of fighting for a spot on crowded road-access B.C. But in reviewing the filters again and on second consideration, we prefer Tempests magnet and bypass valve design. Q: How often should I replace my Tempest oil filter? YOU CAN NOW PLACE YOUR ORDERS BY LOGGING IN ON THE HOME PAGE. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Based on customer feedback, the CH48110-1 can height was shortened by 1/2" to make them easier to install, with no reduction in filtering media. THIS LEAD TIME MAY BE SHORTER OR LONGER DEPENDING ON SUPPLIER DELAYS AND AVAILABILITY OF MATERIALS. But last year and this year, theyve seen people flying closer to 35 and 40 hours since their last inspection. Champion Aerospace is a leading manufacturer of . A: Yes, please see the attached Letter of Engineering Concurrence. We don't want to do that. It's not that we can't do them or won't do them, it's the parts are hard to get for them makes it very difficult to do them, he explained. We've always used Champions. Champions ReplyIn 2009, Aviation Consumer ran an article similar to the one in the March 2013 issue, comparing the same filters from the same manufacturers. Is There Some Sort of Shortage of Champion Oil Filters? And customers are learning to adapt to the changing landscape. So far, frequently needed supplies such as oil and filters have generally remained available. When you get down to that last one, go ahead and order two more, and that way you have them, he said. I will never use the Tempest on account of that. We introduced the first spin-on aviation oil filter in 1974. Whats become the most common problems each is facing is parts and wrestling with an increasingly strained supply chain. Champion Oil Filter CH48103-1. Replacement elements service engine-mounted or line-installed filter systems incorporating a permanent housing assembly. I think it's really across the market, everybody is seeing it, even oil filters and spark plugs are difficult to get, for us and also for maintenance facilities as well, to be able to complete some of the tasks that need to be done, Kuti continued. Its oil filters that Cryer is having the toughest time with finding. We would like your help so we can serve the industry better! We disagree with the comment in the article that while the Champion filters have eight inlet holes versus the four on Tempest filters, it is unlikely they make a sizable difference in performance. Yes, there was a pun there and if you've worked . All Rights Reserved. Determining which height filter to use all depends on the space you have inside the engine cowling. For supply chain stuff, for us, we have so many avenues we can use to get parts. Kuti says people are starting to plan ahead more and its advice hes recommending people follow. Thanks for the PIREP Eddie. Located in Silverhill, Alabama, and founded in 2010, Kuti and his partners bought Pinnacle in 2019. Cryer said that their approach to repairs is to treat everything as an uncommon repair, no matter how common it may be. Total Manufacturing Control Tempest Spin EZ filters are the only aviation oil filters made in a state of the art aviation oil filter plant built solely for, and dedicated to, the manufacture of aviation oil filters. [Its] great for us, because we don't have to keep a lot of things in stock. While Schoensee says Paragon Flight can handle the current situation in the interim, it is especially tough for smaller flight schools that were severely hit by the pandemic shutdowns and cant afford to spend more on parts or to stockpile them. Further, the parts shortage is requiring additional time by fight school owners to manage the business, given the extra effort needed to regularly check tracking numbers for parts arrivals and keep a closer eye on inventory in general. This becomes not cost-effective for me to go and have fun. Not only is it. Your application guide says I can use both. Housing/Mounting Kits. Valid on Orders Placed within 14 Days of Code Request, Some Exclusions Apply (GA Batteries/Plugs/Filters/Tires/Oil, bkervaski. A: Tempest created the Spin EZ oil filter to make installation and removal easier and more efficient. A: The short answer is no. Aeroshell Grease. $31.75. I said no big rush. We just have to know that there's going to be that light at the end of the tunnel, if it darkens in on us, Cryer said. I think patience is number one, especially the way it is now. My wife went to get her oil changed in her car today and was told that they only had synthetic. The world was shut down for a year and were paying for it. I've ordered Tempest several times from Spruce, they came in their own labeled box, with the logo & part number on it. If you know you're coming up to where you need to do an overhaul, or you want to do an overhaul, get with what engine shop you want and prefer to use. The AC Delco stock item for my 1980's 3/4 ton happens to be a direct fit for my O-470 filter. Our original design was similar to the current Tempest design, thus garnering the phrase on the current Tempest filter: "The Original." In 2002, based on decades of experience, Champion improved the "original" design with the introduction of the "-1" part numbers. Browse our selection of aircraft oil filters and oil filter tools below. The challenger oil filter system replaces your existing throw away filter. MRP/MAP/Sale Items & Others), Keep an eye on your inbox for your $25offcode.Valid on Orders Placed within 14 Days of Code Request, Some Exclusions Apply (GA Batteries/Plugs/Filters/Tires/Oil, MRP/MAP/Sale Items & Others), West Coast Store: Mon-Fri 7:00am-4:00pm PST1301 Brookside Blvd. He says things have definitely changed over the course of the past few years. Although nothing has changed in either filter, Aviation Consumer recommended the our filter as a better-built product in the first article and Tempest in the second. Click here to view Champion Aerospace Product Catalog, Oil Filters vs Tempest Competitive Analysis, 1230 Old Norris Road Total process control helps ensure the highest standard of quality. I'm not sure why that is, he said. We are chaotic busy, almost. But Kuti said the majority of the work they see is engine overhauls. So, whatever we can get oil filters, we're just buying them and getting them, so we have them.. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT A SPECIFIC PRODUCT'S LEAD TIME PLEASE, EMAIL INFO@CHALLENGERAVIATION.COM OR CALL 937-387-6500. The strain on the supply chain is causing a hunt for parts, adding a new layer of complexity to engine maintenance and forcing both mechanic and customer to adapt. Tempest Aviation Group AA FILTER. $44.50. I still have one left on the shelf, but like to keep stock on all of my rotables. Kuti continued that because the big distributors are putting in a $100,000 worth of orders each month to keep up with their and their customers needs, it creates a backlog for shops like Pinnacle whose parts needs are different. And just like the great Toilet Paper issue a couple of years ago, folks decided they needed to stock up in advance of a shortage - making the shortage worse for everyone. Some other places may do it within service limits. Archived post. A note on filters. AIR FILTERS OIL FILTERS STC REQUEST OUR PRODUCTS REQUIRE A ONE TIME 337. I said yes and was prepared to wait however long. Responsibility for airworthiness of aircraft, including the installation of correctly selected approved replacement of parts lies with the aircraft owner/operator per FAR 91.163, FAR 121.363, FAR 123.45, FAR 127.131 and FAR 135.143 (a). Luckily I've got 2, but if you're coming up on an oil change or annual you might need to start calling folks. The challenger oil filter system replaces your existing throw away filter. . They come with a one-inch, wrench-off, hex nut built into the filter's top with safety-wire lugs. Every single day, hunting for what you need, and just hoping that sooner or later, somebody will end up with some. The dash two filter by Tempest is the shortest of the certified aviation oil filters on the market. How about Tempest? We try to order as much stuff as we can, as soon as we know the engine's coming, and try to get stocked up. But once all that old stock that people have is depleted, you're really going to be left with trying to figure out the next move. Scan this QR code to download the app now. They sell super fast. GE Aerospace Awarded $684 Million Contract for Additional T408 Turboshaft Engines, Airbus, Safran and Tikehau Capital Finalize Acquisition of Aubert & Duval, Lufthansa Buys New Seats to Make Long-Haul Flights more Comfortable, First Quarter Revenues Rise at Safran as Company Reaffirms Outlook. You know as well as I do, a lot of these airplane owners, if they can afford an airplane, they can afford to go fly them. of torque or tighten by hand plus a quarter turn. I didn't know this until I got an email from our (Grumman) owners group, but most GA oil filters are on backorder through September/October. zero oil filters to be found, which was expected. Add to Cart. The oil filter shortage has been a topic of discussion here, numerous other forums, and at fly-ins for most of this year. The factory gives us service limits and they also give us new limits. When somebody says it's a common repair, that means that you can do it with your eyes closed. The 2009 article noted that the Champion filter had a larger, two-piece internal gasket of materials with different densities, more filtration media, a coil spring to keep the media mated to the base and a substantial, separate bypass valve, all of which justified the 25 percent higher price and made it a better product. Champion Full Flow Oil Filters are designed to supply a continuous . Remember, oil and filter change hours are arbitrary. C180_guy offline The shortage of oil filters does anyone skip the oil filter change at 50 hr, change the oil but not the filter. The high quality media is preformed, convoluted and cured at a controlled temperature to form a durable, heat shock- and chemical-resistant filter medium. I bought oil and filters last month in preparation for this. WELCOME TO CHALLENGER AVIATION PRODUCTS, INC. FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS PLEASE CONTACT AN AUTHORIZED CHALLENGER AVIATION PRODUCTS DISTRIBUTOR. I don't think we're going to suffer too much. Most of the aircraft that have those older style engines already have STCs to go to a different engine model, he said. We're doing all we can. Superior just opened up a third shift, I believe they're running shift work, trying to produce as much as they possibly can, Kuti said. The filter media surrounds a corrugated steel center support tube, which provides support for each convoluted pleat of filter media and adds significant protection from filter collapse-pressure failure, especially during cold-start engine conditions. This process may be performed by any qualified shop possessing the data and parts. Maximum full-flow design, without interference from center-bolt oil filter assemblies, provides increased oil filtration each engine-operating hour. due to increased demand and delays in production as well as supply chain shortages, some products have an approximate lead time of 10-12 weeks. The age of engine is also determining parts availability. They just come loose, not in a box like the Champions. Today's Posts Cryer said that their uptick in business is shining a light on another issue, finding mechanics to take on the increased workload. Aircraft Application Guide (PDF) Tempest Supplier of Choice Frequently Purchased With Customers Also Viewed ARB3-5-1 TEMPEST GARTER FILTER $3.65 BRACKETT AERO BA-8103-1 ELEMENT FOR BA-8110 $21.50 BRACKETT AERO BA-5705 ELEMENT FOR BA-5710 $13.50 LPS 00216 #2 HEAVY DUTY LUBRICANT 11OZ AEROSOL $17.50 TEMPEST AA48110-2 OIL FILTER $31.75 The filter element is made from medical grade, type 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth providing unmatched protection against oil contamination and resultant engine damage. Quick Shop. THE DISTRIBUTOR WEBSITE LINK IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. $9.85. I dunno how much good they do there, but I think they're inside the hex on the end of the filter. It is like any other industry, everybody has their challenges. As Kuti explains, smaller shops can sometimes be left behind. Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Flocker, Dec 10, 2021. So if you fly only 75 hours or less a year, you will be changing the oil about three times a year. If I have an engine in here that I know cylinders are hard to get, we're looking every single day, because sometimes a larger distributor may get the cylinders in and not have them sold yet. I'm not sure what is happening. Better to say the recommendations are somewhat flexible. Has everyone heard that there is a shortage of oil filters for aircraft engines? -POSTING RULES We were still able to get parts and move through everything. I heard that Champion was not producing filters but that was not a reliable source. Kuti reminisced that the most unusual repair theyve ever seen was cleaning concrete mix out of a sabotaged engine. Kuti said there is a larger discrepancy between finding parts for newer engines compared to older ones. I have cut apart the truck filters after a rebuild exactly the same way as the tempests at oil change time. Ugh . Quick Shop. While there is no current end in sight, here are some things to know in your search for one. Location: Birmingham, Alabama. Then go to 100hr before changing it and the oil and cutting it open. We'll pre-order cylinders with a deposit, get those on the shelf and let the customer know, Hey, we're ready for you when you are. And that way it speeds up the process, he said. Never had one just come loose. Stocking up on what can be found is, so far, the best solution to overcoming the problem, with hunting for parts becoming almost a full-time job by itself. Our coil spring advantage was noted in both our 2009 and 2013 articles. Champion oil filter elements are individually boxed, each with a plastic bag containing installation gaskets and instructions. I learned this from a Cummins regional manager. Modern spin-on oil filters contain the element, incorporating the anti-drain back valve mechanism (and internal bypass valve 48108-1/48109-1), and are sealed in a disposable housing. Q: What is the Spin EZ oil filter by Tempest? For example, a recent check showed most Champion oil filters out of stock, while Tempest filters were still available for immediate shipping. The good news is the vendors and the manufacturers are talking to us and saying, Hey, we're getting this figured out. EVERY STC ISSUED IS ASSIGNED TO THE OWNER AND THEIR AIRCRAFT. That's probably the single biggest thing that we have right now, he said. Although the additional inlet holes in the Champion filters cost more to manufacture, they more evenly distribute the oil across the filtering media, allowing for more efficient filtration and less possibility of a restriction in the media.

Swgoh Data Disks Ranked, How To Butterfly Click In Bedwars, Neptune Society Vs Trident Society, Articles A

aircraft oil filter shortage