eric and ariel simple living alaska

Tag along to share . No spam. Still, when youre leaving for months on end there are endless things to remember and as we hadnt left for that long in the last few years, we were a little rusty. Its time to fill up. At the end of the day we are both proud of our decision to build a root cellar, perhaps it meant trying something that didn't work out but we cannot deny that there was a tremendous learning experience to be gained and ultimately we would have rather tried and failed than to have never tried at all. Why was I being such a princess? I suspect traditional root cellars had varying mold levels as well. Press J to jump to the feed. Main Videos Episodes Living Alaska Episodes. Last time we spoke, fine reader, The Chief and I had returned from a whirlwind Town trip. On the downside, I overestimated the ability to be able to store garlic, squash, and onions in there, with the high humidity we ran into mold issues very early on when attempting to store squash. As I sit outside typing in a sundress in 70 degree weather, the guilt starts to seep in again. We both love our own little personal grocery store and are delighted to take a trip to the cellar to stock up for the week. They dropped me off at the dentist where I arrived full snail style (aka with my life on my back) and when I was finished, my other neighbor who had been gone all last year picked me up! Those partners may have their own information theyve collected about you. We resigned ourselves to adding another 600 miles to our trip.So, with the aforementioned distractions semi-settled, we looked to our departure date with anticipation and excitement. I bought an extra large and it definitely fits like a small. Clay, on the opposite spectrum, has poor drainage due to its small particle size and lack of space for air or water to circulate, therefore it often compacts. The consensus? We pretty much nailed it. I shivered as I took Leto for a quick prance about the neighborhood. . How Much Does Simple Living Alaska Make On YouTube, Simple Living Alaska Youtube IncomeSo in this video we are going to talk about how much money simple livi. We firmly believe in trying new things and learning as we go. That's all you need them to do and I might add it makes for wonderful crop storage for the potatoes and carrots, they come out of there harder then when we pulled them out of the ground. Rust has really not been an issue, even on the metal shelves, we both imagine given more time it could be. Heres where the little bit of technology comes in: 6 days before we were meant to depart, my phone announced a reminder to me. Say Yes to the handout and No to the hard when you can. Etsys 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centers that host Etsy.com, the Sell on Etsy app, and the Etsy app, as well as the electricity that powers Etsys global offices and employees working remotely from home in the US. Take the help. I hope they grow their YT channel and become ultra-successful influencers. Even though it was a 16-hour detour AND we couldnt make an appointment (we could only do walk-in which, when you live 8 hours away is a really funny/frustrating idea) it was the best option. Ariel and Eric are an amazing couple. As idyllic as this state is, life here in Alaska is not without its challenges. Our research often led us to dry, warmer climates where they were built. I adore the Simple Living Alaska YouTube channel. Great! Their names are hella cute like in The Little Mermaid: Eric & Arielle Except that the "Ariel" is spelt differently. Why dont I just stop in a for a little? Thirty minutes later, there she was. We needed a change of plans, and ultimately decided to add back 3 feet of dirt and gravel in hopes that the water table wouldn't come up much higher. There was a lot to do and do it we did, all the way from getting the pup in and out of surgery (hes OK, dont worry! Upon first observation, we had great soil for this project, primarily compromised of silt and sand with a smaller amount of clay. Now we put in our shelves, wood was going to be our primary choice but without protection we both knew mold would form, plastic and metal were other options. The stress of it hung in the air above us. I had called everywhere from the nearest clinic to the border (one that would still be a few hours detour) to clinics in Anchorage. An important note when filling the bags is that you want to avoid large rocks that could contribute to air space and possibly shifting later on down the road, some folks filter their dirt, we manually picked out large clumps as we put it down the chute. Finally it was time for the roof, in retrospect I could argue this was by far our biggest mistake in terms of longevity, primarily because we opted to not peel the logs we used. But I instantly got hooked after the first one with them picking wild berries with the dogs! So, could I have hacked it in Alaska at 6+ months pregnant mid-conststuction zone? #LivingAlaska Consult Program Guide. We appreciate you tagging along for our Alaskan adventure Thank you for watching and supporting our channel! Eric and Melissa, with their boys Ethan and Hunter and their two dogs, are embarking on the adventure of a lifetime. The thought of lining the floor was also a possibility but it wasn't in the plan nor is it traditional for root cellars to have a non earth floor. The other small hiccup that stole our attention was a brief moment The Chief had spent with a small-town cop who had big-time problems with him. I was excited to order a tee shirt. We want to hear from you!P.P.S. No make-up, tight or skimpy clothing for clickbaits, they wear normal and functional clothes. Purchased item: Simple Living Alaska TIE DYE TEE Laura Jackson Apr 4, 2022 Helpful? We used 6 mil poly to cover the roof, we cut out an opening for the hatch and laid it over before we covered the roof with dirt. Copyright 2023 Chugach Peaks Photography. By 12:05 we faced the grim reality: wed be leaving the next day, 5 days earlier than planned. Can this freeze? Id ask, holding up balsamic vinegar. With time pressing us due to other summer plans, family visiting soon and the excavator rental primarily we opted to just go for it. The channel may have additional revenue streams, such as sponsored content and product sales, that are not reflected in these figures. Categories: Lipper International Acacia Straight-Side Serving Bowl for Fruits or Salads, Large, 10" Diameter x 5" Height, Single Bowl, Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker (Pack of 2), McSunley Stainless Steel Prep N Cook Water Bath Canner, 21.5 quart, Silver (620), Jar Lifter Kitchen Funnel Fits Wide and Regular Mouth Jars Grabber Gripper Pressure Cooker Tongs Set Supplies, Hydro Flask Tumbler Cup - Stainless Steel & Vacuum Insulated - Press-In Lid - 16 oz, Cobalt, Le Creuset Enamel On Steel Demi Tea Kettle, 1.25 qt., Caribbean, Cuisinart DCG-20BKN Food Grinder - 2.50 oz - Black, Utopia Kitchen 34 Ounce French Press Espresso and Tea Maker with Triple Filters, Stainless Steel Plunger and Heat Resistant Borosilicate Glass - Black, Legend Cookware Cast Iron Skillet with Lid | Large 12 Frying Pan with Glass Lid & Silicone Handle | Induction, Cooking, Sauting & Grilling | Lightly Pre-Seasoned Cookware Gets Better with Use. We lined the edges above ground with rock and that seemed to do the trick for the time being, ultimately winter came for good and the ground is frozen for the season. simple living alaska gossip. Original Price $17.49 All along wed been so worried about MY passport that wed forgotten to check on The Chiefs passport. We were on baby time and I wouldnt have had it any other way. Apparently, that spell had worn off. There was a calm to the storm. We have no dark spaces available in our cabin with the exception of a few cabinets and the humidity stays near 15 to 20 percent when our wood stove is running. When we set off on our journey from Oregon to Alaska with two trailers, two dogs and two cats, we never dreamed of the adventures it would bring. speorg note iceland myth April 14, 2023 0 Comments 9:40 am. When we first moved to Alaska we brought quite a bit of canned goods and crops with us from Oregon, we shipped potatoes, onions, and garlic due to Canada's border regulations and we stored all of this in the cabin our first winter here. Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. Id make the journey solo. They landed at a tiny cabin surrounded by forest in . Season 3 Season 3.0 . It turns out that yes, I can do this version of hard too. SimpleLivingAKTieDye puts your order in the mail. Unexplainably, I did. After we completed covering the whole structure with approximately 2 feet of dirt we knew it was time to fill it up. Once we built up to around three feet we added the housewrap and lined the outside edge of the sandbags with a few inches of gravel before back filling with dirt and tamping it into place. A community for discussion related to Ariel and Eric Illias YouTube show, Simple Living Alaska. The Chief now had two strikes against him. Learn more. 5 pm isnt what I would call my ideal start to a 3,000 + mile journey butstart it we did. Gosh, I love girlfriends.So, am I completely and utterly tired? Becasue the thing is, the true hard will come. The lowest daily views during this period are 107.24K. Unique and special. Needless to say we ended up purchasing a dehumidifier and running it every few days to keep the humidity at 50 percent or lower, this kept the mold at bay. Arielle inspired her to begin filming films while in college. Get every new post, hot off the press, to your inbox. Never ever. See you in two weeks.With love. High temperature is also not ideal for long term storage and can lead to the quicker breakdown of canned goods and decrease the time vegetables will store. Simple Living Alaska net worth for June 2023 - They got zero-cringe, the get dorky over everything their doing, and they make it a point that they just look good naturally. Are you good at it or is it hard for you? Like I mentioned before, there was a push to get this done quickly so we kept at it but of course made sure to document it. But I really, really, really love this duo and their content.and I've only started becoming a fan for about a couple of weeks after like 6 or 8 videos. By no means is Alaska the perfect climate to have a garden but it still amazes me that we can grow our produce for the year in a brief 3 months. One of the most refreshing content creators out there IMO! r/SimpleLivingAlaska: A community for discussion related to Ariel and Eric Illia's YouTube show, Simple Living Alaska. I feared wed reached the Day of the Bored Guard and as the Border had told us in our many, many calls Its all up to the guard who is working that day. During July and August we had several downpours but September and October was when the real rain came, and naturally the water table rose. What follows is our story on how we built an underground earthbag root cellar and what knowledge we acquired through the process. This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Well, not exactly. Sale Price $7.92 Simple Living Alaska Earns Commissions 7 20 ITEMS Updated 1 year ago In The Kitchen Bambsi Collapsible Dish Drying Rack - Bamboo 2-Tier Dish Drainer Kitchen Plate Rack for Kitchen Countertop - Foldable & Compact for Space-Saving Storage $1999 Get Fast, Free Shipping with Amazon Prime DisclaimerI believe all content used falls under the remits of Fair Use, but if any content owners would like to dispute this I will not hesitate to immediately remove said content. Original Price $11.00 - Eric \u0026 Arielle IlliaMusic By Epidemic Sound:Yrsa - Infinity RippleVisit our Amazon store to see the products we use and recommend:https://www.amazon.com/shop/simplelivingalaskaOur Amazon affiliate link if you wish to support our channel: https://amzn.to/2Xi9CvEProducts used in this video:Benchmade Knife: https://amzn.to/3dTytMMShelterLogic: https://amzn.to/3uIAcLKSnow Rake: https://amzn.to/3fYDm9WLodge Cast Iron Skillet: https://amzn.to/2J14K8BLodge Dutch Oven: https://amzn.to/322BXa3Dog Jackets: https://amzn.to/2IuvBKFGame Camera: https://amzn.to/3dMiW1aYou can also support us through PayPal at: https://www.paypal.me/SimpleLivingAlaska?locale.x=en_USDon't want to miss an episode? We gardened extensively in Oregon and being in zone 8 we were able to garden into the fall season and store some of our root crops outside during winter under a thick layer of straw, but for the most part we'd harvest the majority of our crops late summer for preserving or for storing inside. All of these thoughts circled my head as, after a long weekend of packing our life away into a UHaul and prepping for The Chiefs journey, I prepared to start the next step: moving. what charities does nike support. It was finally the end to an epically long string of marathons. Here are 5 uncomfortable truths about living in Alaska. Yep. Despite a rocky start (pun intended) when the starter on her truck gave us guff we made it out of Anchorage. Living in a small cabin in Alaska, with a solar system and a generator as our only means of providing energy, we both knew food preservation was always going to pose a challenge for us. I am good at it. You can face shifting with earthbags consisting largely of sand, and if they are composed of predominantly clay, they can expand with moisture and contract when dry, both scenarios can lead to unstable walls. Of course I could do hard things, but did I have to? They take their subscribers along as they live and continue to learn how to live sustainably off grid in the beautiful Alaska. Through my brief research I learned about the color of soils and iron deposits being factors that helped determine water table levels. Wood, pressure treated or not, was a commonly used material for our area with the understanding that these structures generally have to be replaced over time. supervising producer / executive producer / field producer (55 episodes, 2013-2017) Heidi Clark. I was excited to order a tee shirt. Several folks used polyethylene plastic rather than housewrap for lining their structure which also seems to be a good option, keeping in mind most materials will break down given time. It turns out that you can get a good idea of the water table fluctuations just by looking a bit closer at your soil. I still had to work but thankfully was able to swing a half-day. Now with the site prepared the real work began. Needless to say, his homecoming has been hard, the kind of hard he was prepared for and, to be honest, the kind I wasnt. We also had an allowance on this build that we were comfortable with, the higher integrity materials were generally costlier such as building with concrete, rebar, and cinder blocks. There was a problem calculating your shipping. Before we can relocate the carcass and our game camera heavy snowfall forces us to change our schedule. This root cellar has been perfect for the potatoes and my hope is they will go right into March and April for planting season. I used to housesit constantly. The largest earthquake our root cellar has withstood was a 5.2 magnitude and I must say earthquakes this size are what I would call a "baby" earthquakes, we feel them all too frequently since moving to Alaska so our perception is skewed. By 10 pm I was calling our hotel to let them know that wed be later than expected. Once we did the math on how much space we would need in our root cellar, and allowing for growth, our design was a 8 foot x 8 foot structure with a 6 foot ceiling. The weeks of mayhem and planning prior had set us up surprisingly well. They're the famous duo who run a blog showing how a couple grows food and raises livestock. This is our story living off grid in rural Alaska.Thank you for watching and supporting our channel! It was just a look around to make sure all is well, and I feel very grateful to say that it is) plus countless errands in between. Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. What would we do if we didnt make it across? . Other ideas we researched on the more costly end were septic tank containers and culverts. And did I have to do them alone? The third distraction was the need for a negative COVID test within 72-hours of reaching the border. While the opportunity to feed the need to meet the hard head on is not Alaska-specific, the state certainly provides many opportunities to flex or stretch that muscle. I clicked into it. I am so grateful for each and every one of you.With love. We later confirmed any doubts we had about lateral pressure and snow load from two sources, a family in Canada and another in the Pacific Northwest that successfully built below grade with earthbags. Idea Lists. Maybe? Moreover, they are sharing their daily experiences of homesteading and living off of the land. Theres nothing quite like a deadline to light a fire under you, eh? Now, it was time to chill. But the shirt is way mis sized. Today, he spends the day unloading. co-executive producer / senior producer / field producer / producer (76 episodes, 2013-2017) John W. Burshtan. The first step was digging the hole, by hand was not an option for us due to our time constraint and quite possibly our physical ability, although I can't be sure since we didn't ever have to test that. P Lev Jul 9, 2021. Except that the "Ariel" is spelt differently. Alaska is a dangerous state. A channel's CPM varies depending on the location and demographics of its audience, the number of subscribers a channel has, It was cathartic and healing and an overall serious full-circle experience to ride into Town together, the three of us (plus my nephew pup, Ruger of course), this time with Leona on the outside, squeaking and squealing and babbling her way through the normally 8-hour, turned 10-hour, drive. They have also lived in Wasilla, AK and Willow, AK. Create an account to follow your favorite communities and start taking part in conversations. It is not my intent to in any way infringe on their content ownership. TaxesThey currently live in the United States, Willow, Alaska so they will pay about $93,343 Federal tax and $16,513 FICA tax. You can here: http://www.youtube.com/c/SimpleLivingAlaskaOur most popular playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yscm4F1pA\u0026list=PL5dzTsBM4zzBbhZowW6uMJD8mdTts66EN -: https://www.simplelivingalaska.com: https://www.facebook.com/SimpleLivingAlaska: https://www.instagram.com/simplelivingalaska/ -: simplelivingalaska@gmail.com: Simple Living AlaskaPO Box 506Willow, AK 99688We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Simple Living Alaska @SimpleLivingAlaska 693K subscribers 393 videos Home Videos Playlists Community Channels About Recently uploaded Popular 58:13 Honest Look at Living Off Grid | Full Cabin. We came back up with two feet of excavated dirt and about 12 inches of gravel for the base of the cellar floor. We both gravitated towards cinder blocks due to longevity however the cost was tremendously greater with the materials for this structure, we also gave consideration to the skill level required and time needed to construct such a building, which ultimately are the reasons we turned away from this design. Light degrades canned foods and will cause potatoes to sprout prematurely. Our future plans dissolving. No! ~ P.D. Earns Commissions. Hes had to warm up batteries that dont want to come back to life after stints at over -60 degrees this winter. Sure, our house was about to be a construction zone. You can see more weddings and room photos in our Alaska Wedding Venues Section. Etsy Purchase Protection: You just drive safely said the sweet front desk agent. On the plus side, it's beautiful.

Parkside Estates Wheatfield Ny, Poppy Gustafsson Family, Obituaries For Valley, Alabama Johnson Brown, What Do Maltipoos Usually Die From, Articles E

eric and ariel simple living alaska