funny southern nicknames

Regardless of how we arrive at their nicknames, these terms of endearment signify our affections for and connections to our friends. Ye can't git no suthern than that! 42. This term of endearment is a go-to nickname for little ones who need comfort, consolation, or encouragement. What's easier to say than "ma" or "da?" Can't remember someone's name? Some people use them to identify themselves better. Ann 7. True best friends are as rare as picking a four-leaf clover or winning the lottery. You can use these nicknames anywhere you want for free. However, for reasons that shall remain secret, Ive also known a Cat, a Rump, a Brick, a Bags, a Bloat, a Winky, a Skeets, a Cheese, a Peezee, and a Fritz. Arkoprabho likes to go to the cinema, write film scripts, listen to music, and research the stock market in his spare time. missy - could be someone named Missy (maybe short for Melissa); could be any female person (Look here missy, mind your own business.) Littlun' - a catchy moniker for a girl. Lou - a rarely used nickname for boys. The nicknames can also refer to anything as a metaphor for a sweet and loving person. 10. These names can emerge as a deliberate choice or develop from a quirky personality trait. Kidadl is supported by you, the reader. They are typically considered to be working-class or lower-class citizens. 3. . -- JennyLynn Hubbard, "The women in my family have the best names! In fact, people love it when you call them with a simple nickname. Jasper: A Persian name meaning treasurer., 8. Other such double names are; Maybelle, Arabella, Marybeth, or Annabeth. Ethel: An English name meaning noble.. My great grandmother was called Mama Jo, for Josephine Shea. If you're looking for a unique aunt nickname for your baby, here are a few great suggestions from our list: Classic Aunt Nickname in the US: Auntie Aunt Nickname in Spanish and Portuguese: Tia Aunt Nickname from Ukraine: Titka Cute and Funny Aunt Name: Nini Also ask people in your network for their thoughts. Southerners who speak with a drawl have a tendency to drop the last letter when pronouncing words that end in g. This leads to fixin, goin and other similar pronunciations. What you see as a weird pronunciation, someone else just might perceive as a charming Southern drawl. 73. Others use them to show off their uniqueness. Remove the rest of them and get to the next step. 95. 10. -- LaDonna Rausch. In my southern nicknames, I use combinations that are appealing to the eyes, interesting to others, convey my personality, and are easy to spell and pronounce. 96. Funny Hillbilly Names 1) Biscuit 2) Fanny 3) Mule 4) Possum 5) Squeaky 6) Golly 7) Lard 8) Wilbur 9) Taters 10) Spud 11) Petunia 12) Grits 13) Pumpkin 14) Rascal 15) Snickers 16) Sugar 17) Honey The Difference Between Rednecks, Hillbillies, and Southerners Male Hillbilly Names 1. Skip the fried chicken and order chit'lins. -- Pattie Georgia-Peach Norton, "My contribution -- and I'm sorry, but this is the winner -- is New York Jets Assistant Coach Jim Bob Cooter. Granny and Grannie are heard in the South, too, although they seem to take a back seat to names containing "ma" or "maw.". -- Peggy Swain, "Three of my aunts are Wanda Mae, Lillie Pearl and Tessa Mae." I have a sister named Jenetta, and another sister named Josephine. Though sometimes derided, hillbillies are hardworking, salt-of-the-earth people. While the three groups are often lumped together, there are actually some significant differences between them. Some famous hillbillies include: Granny (The Beverly Hillbillies), Hoss Cartwright (Bonanza), Jed Clampett (The Beverly Hillbillies), and Daisy Duke (The Dukes of Hazzard). Other nicknames are secretive and almost tribal, and only a select few know about their origins. 3. My mom's great great aunt was Silhouette Washington Roanoke Caney Fork Cumberland Hayes, and they called her Lou " -- Marte Young, "Doesn't everyone have a Junebug in the family? My great grandmother was Nannie Maude, and my grandfather was Cecil Linwood." Pookie - a term of endearment for a child. Daisy - based on the flower. Funny pet names for lovers. Go-Go - another moniker for grandmothers. It also used to be very common to hear nicknames like Sweetie and Honey applied to perfect strangers. 7. The new baby would be an infant, and the baby would be a little older, sometimes called a hip baby because he or she could be carried on the hip. Rednecks, on the other hand, are often seen as proud of their way of life and culture. 99. If you've yet to assign a nickname to your closest friends and still need a little help figuring it out or just require a little inspiration to arrive at a nickname to let your besties know how much they mean to you, take a few moments and check out this list of potential nicknames. Those are usually the funny ones, and are based on some infamous achievement or event in that persons life. And others use them to express their feelings more easily. Let your besties know how much they mean to you with one of these unique nicknames. Check out our list of catchy Southern nicknames given here to call your partner with the nickname and let her show the affection and love you've for her that she will love. Easy-Bake Oven Challenge: who can bake granny's cookie recipe the best? -- Elizabeth Mengelt Walters, "A lot of people say my name is pretty southern. While Toots and Tootsie was a popular vintage name, it's still holding its own as a favored nickname in the South. Boo and Booboo are nicknames used for both boys and girls. Cookie- a nickname for a cute little child. Ti-Ti 11. Baba In Russian, "baba" refers to a grandmother. All I could think is that this family did that THREE TIMES!" " -- Tracie Dickerson, "I had a great great aunt named Effie Mae. Faunt Bubbles Bubby Mom-Ty Aunt C Auntsy Aunt M Ant Auntie Mimi Cookie Bubby Latifah Countess Dollface Wonder Woman Buffy Funfetti Real Deal Ti-Ti Too-Too Cookie But luckily for you, weve collected a massive list of catchy, funny, and original nicknames for Southern for you to choose from. Nicknames are usually used by people who share a similar personality trait or characteristic. Scout - for a person with good eyesight. Where do these names originate? We also link to other websites, but are not responsible for their content. Often, when a Southerner receives a nickname, it follows him for the rest of his life. 18. Rummy - a masculine nickname for a friend. There's no need for confusion or to call your doctor by his surname if your small town's only got one of them anyway. One of my best friends is named Scarlett and, of course, every dog that has ever been named Bear or Bryant!" Hillbilly names can come from a variety of sources, including but not limited to: family names, given names, occupations, nicknames, and even animals. Kid's grandfather on their dad's side was Early. Susan is the author of the book "Stories From My Grandparent: An Heirloom Journal for Your Grandchild." What Is The Difference Between Rednecks, Hillbillies, and Southerners. We try our very best, but cannot guarantee perfection. -- Lynn Hohengarten, "My kids call my sister-in-law 'Aunt Sister'." 19. The term hillbilly has been used in a variety of ways and it can have different meanings depending on who is using it. Dont forget to include your parents, siblings, teachers, and friends. Nicknames play a huge role in how we interact with others. " -- Shannon Miller, "My grandmothers' names were Ocie Mae and Georgia Belle." Some of the most common nicknames are Aunt, Auntie, and Tia. 85. Ladybug - parents can give this adorable nickname to their daughters. Wink-a-puss is an old English nickname for an owl, but it was also once used as "an opprobrious appellation, in allusion perhaps to a mangy cat," according to one 19th century . Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. (This is charming yet disgusting way of saying you're so hungry you could eat a horse.) 45. Shorty - feminine nickname given to girls. As an Amazon Associate, Kidadl earns from qualifying purchases. A couple who can laugh together can find ways to survive all difficult moments together. The Appalachian region is an area that includes parts of the states of Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. People actually sign their names that way, and they even use that nickname if running for public office. A nickname is a word used to describe someone or something. When you buy through the links on our site we may earn a commission. Wink-A-Puss. Dear. Our list of classic names includes popular Southern girl names, boy names, and gender-neutral names, so you're sure to find just what you're looking for. Even John Grisham (The Firm, The Pelican Brief) grew up steeped in the unique dialect and rhythm of the South. Double names. Kiddo - for addressing a child or anybody significantly younger than you. Rooster - for a teenager with much to learn. We have seen in a lot of places that short and simple nicknames are liked by people a lot. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Up 10 Down Honky Tonk Badonkadonks Up 9 Down The Beer Guzzlers Up 5 Down High Tech Rednecks Up 4 Down Dirtbags [4] Up 10 Down Country Fried Up 7 Down NASCAR Nation Up 8 Down Hillbilly Legacy Dont forget to include your parents, siblings, teachers, and friends. Aunnie Cute Aunt Nicknames -- Evelyn DeVane Brantley, "My great uncle's name was Dewy, and his wife's name was Flossy. Oh, and my Uncle Happy." So, give it a try. 49. You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. 37 of 65 Marmi Southern Living This name is excellent for grandmothers named Margaret, Marnie, or Maggie. Renny - an unusual masculine moniker. This article contains incorrect information, This article doesnt have the information Im looking for, 60+ Funny Orc Names That Are Perfect For Your Next Campaign, All Of The Pillar Men Names From JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, 100+ Ice Hockey, Roller Hockey, And Hockey Team Names From Past And Present, 80+ Beaver Names From Fiction, Plus Cute And Funny Ideas For Names. We certainly didn't invent the concept of a hand-me-down name. Queen - for a remarkable woman, like a mom or a wife. Thus, a nickname is quite personal and seems to be usually used by the person who gives it or within personal relations. Jo - an abbreviation for names starting with J. Cool Southern Nicknames Fate Cassie Sis Huck Winnie Simba Oakley Cornelia, Eleanor, Ellen, Helen Preston Hawk Trudy Carter Lavinia, Lavina, Melvina Viney, Viny Smokey Lazar Boo Viola Tryphena Cooper Dolly, Dot Bedstemoder Sarge Mattie Pearl Nancy Stetson Biscuit Lena Cash Tammy Monster Etta Ima Tate Giles Rider Essie Kinsey Eleazer Cristian Gilbert You can find out more about our use, change your default settings, and withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future by visiting Cookies Settings, which can also be found in the footer of the site. While pop culture has made it a popular choice for a significant other, in the South, we're more than likely referring to a baby or childor any adorable creature (pets included). Cowboy - because being a cowboy is a traditional profession in the southern state of Texas. -- Traci McLaughlin Martin, "Two of my great grandmothers: Minnie Belle and Myrtle May." Southern nicknames are often considered more intimate and personal than formal names. 92. Some are simply astute observations or accurate descriptions. The knee baby would be the one who might be standing by the mama's knee as she nurses the new baby. Savannah is her own name, and Grace after my Great Aunt Grace. What are types of nicknames you could use? The Moral Underpinning of Jeffersonian Republicanism.

Glade 3 Wick Commercial 2021 Actress, Randy Erickson Bayfield, Wi, Articles F

funny southern nicknames