gaston county sheriff election 2022

GASTONIA, N.C. (AP) A North Carolina man shot and wounded a 6-year-old girl and her parents after children went to retrieve a basketball that had rolled into his yard, according to neighbors and the girl's family another in a series of recent shootings sparked by . Here's a look at some of the races up for election: This will be a new congressional district with a rarity since no sitting member of Congress now lives within the district. top: 0px; Last County Upload: May 27, 2022 8:24 am. font-weight: 300; You can reach Kevin Ellis at 704-869-1823 or email him at kellis@gastongazette.com. .results_row.winner { The GOP, Stewart noted, wisely concentrated on controlling the redistricting process over the past couple of decades. Gaston County has gone several years without a contested Superior Court judge's race, but Gaston County Republican have been eyeing the seat since even before theretirement of Jesse Caldwell IIIin May 2021 after he hit the mandatory retirement age of 72. Gaston County, North Carolina, held elections for local offices in 2022. Rankin won more than 58% of the vote in defeating Gaston County Commissioner Alan Fraley, who has represented the Cherryville Township on the board since 2004. Current Police Chief for the City of Belmont, NC. Collins will keep the District Court judge's seat he has held since March 2016. width: 100%; Sign up for our newsletter. Gaston County Sheriff candidates. "As we all know life can change in a very short time," Cloninger wrote of his change of mind. I am eager to run in the general election and show the district leadership that is honest, decent, and practical," Jackson stated in a press release. Click on your candidates to read their biography, view past election results, read their campaign themes and responses to our candidate survey, and more. 53 talking about this. "The way things are now reminds me, in reverse, of 1967, when I first went to the House," Stewart recalled. .non_result_row div { widget_load_check_jquery(); The wrong party affiliation was listed in a previous story. font-weight: bold; display: inline-block; U.S. Congress | Cooper, a Democrat, also appointed Republican Gaston County District Attorney Travis Page to his office after the retirement of Republican Locke Bell. Cloninger said he would miss serving in a leadership role in Gaston County. Jackson worked as an assistant prosecutor in Gaston County under Bell from 2011 to 2014, and he went to law school with District Attorney Page at UNC Chapel Hill. .widget-row.heading { Chad Hawkins' campaign has received $64,114.93, according to financial disclosure forms filed with the Gaston County Board of Elections Office on Jan. 27, 2022. 20, 2023. .votebox { }); Cloninger, a former police officer and attorney, became sheriff in 2005 when the late Leroy Russell retired. And who are grounded in strong patriotic American values. font-weight: bold; chevron.removeClass('fa-chevron-up'); The district includes about one-third of western Gaston County. If you are Don Roper, click here to fill out Ballotpedia's 2022 Candidate Connection survey. position: relative; Our principal functions include establishing election precincts and voting sites, appointing and training precinct officials, preparing and distributing ballots, voting equipment, canvassing and certifying the ballots cast in elections, and investigating any . Candidates from all 50 states completed the survey. chevron.removeClass('fa-chevron-up'); It saddens me that the same Democrat party that I grew up in, no longer exists. Loftis won 33.6% of the vote, enough to avoid a possible runoff election in July. Like Alan Cloninger, Jesse Caldwell grew up in the Democratic Party, recalling with pride how his father served as Gov. width: 250px; VoterInfobyState_Toggle = true; "My brothers health has deteriorated and the needs of my family and grandchildren have changed. } "Democrats have to point out the good the party has done for the state over the decades," he said. District Court Judge Michael Lands plans to retire at the end of his term. font-size: 2em; The Gaston County Republican Party and the Gaston County Republican Women's Club will be hosting three local candidate forums. }. height: 22px; It was between those two contingents that the real battles were waged, not between Democrats and Republicans. How a state's counties vote in a presidential election and the size of those counties can provide additional insights into election outcomes at other levels of government including statewide and congressional races. .indicate_scroll { Gastonia and the eastern part of the county could find themselves represented by a Democrat in Congress for the first time in decades. See the election results for the 2022 primary. Search for dog that broke free at Carowinds campground grows nationwide, At least 6 people killed in crashes on I-55 south of Springfield, Illinois, Insurance company sues Roger Self after crashing into Surf & Turf Lodge, killing family members, Sheriff's Office trying to keep up with demand as gun permit requests spike. Gaston County election results will start coming in after polls close at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 17. .mw-body #mw-content-text .votebox .race_header h3.votebox-header-office-name { Loftis will face a Republican challenge from Bumgardner's daughter, Lauren Bumgardner Current, and South Point Township County Commissioner Ronnie Worley. Jesse Caldwell IV, who was appointed by Gov. } else { .votebox_legend .non_result_row { For nearly two decades Sheriff Alan Cloninger was the face of the Democratic Party in Gaston County. Don Roper (Gaston County Sheriff, North Carolina, candidate 2022). margin-top: 0px; font-size: .9em; padding-left: 0; Collins won almost 72% of the vote in beating Republican primary challenger Ashley Hyman, an attorney for Gaston County social services the past six years. Counties | padding-bottom: 0px; Raleigh NC 27611-7255. Tuesday's primary election saw voter turnout top 16% or 24,426 people voting out of an eligible 151,790 registered voters. background-color: red; $('#candidate-connection-twitter-132803').on('click', () => { ga('send', 'event', 'surveycta', 'surveycta-click-twitter'); }); Republican County Commissioners Tom Keigher, Gastonia Township, and Chad Brown, Riverbend Township, do not face opposition. Elections in 2023 | .mw-content-ltr td.votebox-results-cell--text, "Throughout my life, I have been a conservative Democrat as my father and family have always been," Cloninger wrote in a statement. .image-candidate-thumbnail-wrapper { color: black; padding-left: 8px; left: 0; . But county Democrat Party leadership refuted Cloninger's claim the local party had turned on him. Credit: North Carolina Sheriff's Association. "My family has asked that I retire as your sheriff. Gaston County Board of Commissioners Dallas Township, Gaston County Board of Commissioners Gastonia Township, Gaston County Board of Commissioners Riverbend Township, Gaston Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors, Gaston Board of Education Gastonia Township District, Gaston Board of Education Riverbend District, Gaston County Board of Education South Point Township. Others make reference to the presidency of Ronald Reagan and the advent of "Reagan Democrats" who felt more comfortable with Reagan's emphasis on patriotism and personal freedom than with the more liberal national Democrats. } Bill Poteat may be reached at bpoteat@gastongazette.com or 828-448-0195. text-align: center; Cloninger, a county employee for more than 30 years and wife of the current sheriff, won the GOP nomination for the Dallas Township seat on the Gaston County Board of Commissioners. Roxann Rankin has worked in the Gaston County Clerk of Court's office since 1984, but took the top job after the retirement of Larry Brown. The key is recruiting candidates who are well known and who are already recognized as community leaders.". Democrats would have a primary between N.C. Sen. Jeff Jackson of Charlotte and Ram Mammadov of Pineville. All three of those overcame primary challengers, andwill not face opposition on the ballot in November's general election. Therefore, I will be changing my party affiliation from Democrat to an unaffiliated voter and will vote independent from this day forward. .non_result_row th { } Indeed on Election Day 2022, no Democrats will be on the ballot for clerk of court, district attorney, the 43rd N.C. Senate seat, the 44th N.C. Senate seat, or the 108th and 110th N.C. House seats. Use the table below to view the total number of each type of county in North Carolina following the 2020 election as well as the overall percentage of the state population located in each county type. } In the future, Caldwell went on, Democrats need to find candidates who are well known for being active in the community and working hard for people in arenas outside of public service. We also provide race overviews if you want additional background information. I would like to thank everyone for your support of the Gaston County Sheriffs Office and of the men and women who serve you daily. Candidates from 36 states completed the survey. display: inline-block; "I have been informed and disappointed to know that the leaders within the present Gaston County Democratic Party are actively recruiting an opponent for me in the March 2022 primary," he wrote. How to vote | overflow-y: hidden; display: inline-block; How to run for office | .contact_office { margin-top: 0.3em; margin-bottom: 0em;margin-right: 0.5em;} display: block; z-index:1; margin-right: 10px; Roy Cooper appointed Caldwellin June to replace his father, Jesse Caldwell III, after the elder Caldwell hit the mandatory retirement age of 72. A mysterious website exposed Oatly conspiracies and scandals. .widget-row { font-size: 20px; $(this).next('div.vis_widget_table').slideToggle('normal'); } .votebox-results-cell--check { Below is the comment statement from the Gaston County Democratic Party: Flashpointis a weekly in-depth look at politics in Charlotte, North Carolina, South Carolina, and beyond with host Ben Thompson. No Democrat has announced as a candidate for Gaston County sheriff. | left: 0px; His district includes parts of Gaston and Cleveland counties. display: block; background-color: #f9d334; Out of the 6,087 respondents, 1,101 won their election. ", Summing up, Caldwell said, "I still believe Democrats can be elected in Gaston County. In August, however, he stunned local political observers with two announcements he had decided to retire at the end of his term and he was no longer a Democrat. .votebox-covid-disclaimer { Live Results: Gaston County Primary Races .mw-body #mw-content-text .votebox .race_header h5.votebox-header-election-type { Mount Holly Police Chief Don Roper announces that he will run for Gaston County Sheriff in 2022 during a media briefing at Tuckaseege Park. What was the voter registration deadline? Gaston County Board of Commissioners Dallas Township. $('.showResponses').hide(); Out of the 694 candidates who completed Ballotpedia's candidate survey, 147 won their election. padding-bottom: 7px; 430 N Salisbury St. 6400 Mail Service Center. Gaston County, North Carolina, elections, 2022, City and township elections and candidates, Presidential election results by county, 2012-2020, Click here to use Ballotpedia's sample ballot, North Carolina 38th Prosecutorial District Attorney, North Carolina 5th Superior Court Division Judicial District 27A, Ballot access for major and minor party candidates, List of absentee/mail-in ballot request websites by state, List of official voter registration websites by state, https://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gaston_County,_North_Carolina,_elections,_2022&oldid=9001266, Pages using duplicate arguments in template calls, Conflicts in school board elections, 2021-2022, Special Congressional elections (2023-2024), 2022 Congressional Competitiveness Report, State Executive Competitiveness Report, 2022, State Legislative Competitiveness Report, 2022, Partisanship in 2022 United States local elections, **Note: Percentages for race and ethnicity may add up to more than 100 percent because respondents may report more than one race and the Hispanic/Latino ethnicity may be selected in conjunction with any race. } None of the candidates live in Gaston County. She'll face a Republican primary challenge from Gaston County Commission Alan Fraley of Cherryville. $('#candidate-connection-email-132803').on('click', () => { ga('send', 'event', 'surveycta', 'surveycta-click-email'); }); 90.7 Charlotte 93.7 Southern Pines .results_table_container { width: 90%; Numerically, the number of Gaston County residents who choose to register as Democrats is also decreasing. Election information in North Carolina: Nov. 8, 2022, election. Current Cherryville Township County Commissioner Allen Fraley will run against her. text-align: center;

90.3 Hickory 106.1 Laurinburg. 163-182.9 (re: vote count or tabulation) 05/27/2022 11/18/2022 . } .results_row td { Here's why. 2022 Election Chart . I will serve out the remainder of my term with honor, concern, and integrity as I always have. We do not have a committee currently recruiting new candidates as we are focused on the 2021 municipality elections.".

. } background-color: #f9d334; overflow: hidden; } In the Dallas Township commission race, both Cathy Cloninger and Steve Hall are Republicans. Rankin has worked 38 years, and has been the chief clerk since October 2020. Cloninger and Hall will face off to replace Philbeck, who announced in October he would not run for the seat again. Gaston County Republicans have not had control of the Sheriff's Office for decades despite holding all other partisan elected offices in the county for years other than two Superior Court judge's seats. The new Mecklenburg Democratic chair says statewide success hinges on a strategy thats already drawn the attention of two of NCs congressional representatives. width: 50%; display: inline; Who believe in fairness and justice. U.S. Rep. Patrick McHenry, a familiar name to voters in Gaston and Cleveland counties, easily won the Republican nomination with about 68% of the vote in a five-candidate field. a[aria-expanded=true] .fa-chevron-right { display: none; } Roy Cooper picked Jesse Caldwell IV to replace his father, Jesse Caldwell, on the bench after the elder Caldwell reached age 72, the mandatory retirement age for Superior Court judges. .inner_percentage.Democratic { At one time, the North Carolina Democratic Party had a conservative wing and a progressive wing. 11/08/2022 OFFICIAL GENERAL ELECTION RESULTS - GASTON: . About two-thirds of eastern Gaston County is included in the district. } Key primary elections for Gaston County Republicans sheriff, 109th House, Clerk of Court, Superior Court judge and representing the Dallas Township on the Gaston County Board of Commissioners. Cloninger released this information in a statement detailing that he will also change his party affiliation from Democrat to an unaffiliated voter. width: 100%; Below, four categories are used to describe each county's voting pattern over the 2012, 2016, and 2020 presidential elections: Solid, Trending, Battleground, and New. "I have not heard anything about anyone running for sheriff except Alan Cloninger, and I'mvery sad he has decided to drop out of the race," said Melissa Wagner, chairwoman of the Gaston County Democrats since April. The winner will face Democrat Eric Hughes, who lists a Charlotte address, in November. Former Police Chief of the City of Cherryville, NC. .non_result_row { p.survey-response {margin-left:10px;} Ballotpedia features 408,502 encyclopedic articles written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and researchers. .widget-row.Independent, .widget-row.Nonpartisan, .widget-row.Constitution { On the Democratic side, former Gaston County assistant prosecutor and Charlotte state Sen. Jeff Jackson easily won his race for the Democratic nomination. color: #888; "I believe most Gaston County voters consider and vote for the man or woman running, not for the party," Caldwell replied, citing Cloninger, former N.C. House Rep. John Bridgeman and former Sen. David Hoyle as examples. In May of 2021, the incumbent sheriff purchased a full-page ad in The Gazette announcing that he would stand for re-election again in 2022. 11/18/2022 Deadline to File an Election Protest (before 11AM) G.S. $('.pastResponses').show(); State and local courts | .race_footer { color: black; } .results_text { Other GOP nominees included Justin Davis for Superior Court judge and Rep. Donnie Loftis for the 109th N.C. House District. Hawkins had expected to challenge Sheriff Alan Cloninger, who had announced in May 2021 his plans to seek a fourth full term after first being appointed sheriff in 2005. margin-top: 1px; Terry Sanford's Gaston County campaign manager way back in 1960. color:white; padding-left: 10px; Raleigh NC 27603-1362. Noteworthy respondents included U.S. Representative Jasmine Crockett, North Carolina Supreme Court Justice Trey Allen, and Los Angeles County Sheriff . Cloninger had announced in May he would be seeking a fourth full term as sheriff after first being appointed in 2005.

The Closing Of The Frontier Frederick Jackson Turner, Professional Gift Wrapping Services, Feuerstein Kulick Salary, Least Busy Entrance To Yellowstone, Which Statement Under Operator Radiation Protection Is Not Correct?, Articles G

gaston county sheriff election 2022