millwall pubs to avoid

"F**k you, I'm Millwall": Roy Larner. forget mrsa bugs, the type of infection you'd get here are much worse. Best pubs near Millwall FC? - London Forum - Tripadvisor Almost 7 years to the day. After the match had ended all away fans were held in the ground for what seems like forever, but is probably about half hour. It was for us just a regular trip up to London. Meet the Russian Millwall fans who booze at an English pub in The bloodthirsty new generation of hooligans dragging - The Sun And we were barred. There is a direct walkway specifically built for away fans which takes you directly to the away end and back to the station afterwards. Im walking towards the bar thinking, 'Whys nobody looking at me?. He trained as an actor and helped write the cult 1995 film ID which was based on his experiences. A free weekend and shamelessly snubbing Non-League day, son and I headed to South London and a visit to The Den. The Council would sell off the purchased land to a developer. Boro started off well, but that was very brief, Millwall got a goal, (great through ball to set it up) and then added a second, which was embarrassing from our point of view. Parking is limited at the ground and it's not a place to wear your teams colours. The Den is a neat little ground that is ideal for any League One team and most sides are almost identical to each other. One stop on the train and you are there. Once you go past New Cross Gate tube station on your right the ground is about a mile further on. View on Map. No signs of any trouble whatsoever. Zampa Road, London SE16 3LN Telephone: What you thought on seeing the ground, first impressions of away end then other sides of the Den? Its this, it seems, that enabled him to become so successful. Comment on the game itself, atmosphere, stewards, pies, facilities etc.. Game was a bit dull with Chesterfield winning 2-0, a very professional away performance. The first thing to go wrong did so almost immediately, when Chris (not his real name) ordered them both half-pints of lager. I stuck to our planned pub visits in Borough anyway, texting him updates. Your head starts to take in masses of information. We left Coventry station on the 08:51 train to London Euston and arrived just before 10am. As always in London, public transport is not a problem. wow this stadium might have looked good 20 years ago" Having said that it had plenty of legroom and good unobstructed views all around. That turned out to be a huge blessing in disguise as Waghorn made it 3-2 moments later. I experienced no issues at this point, and we met some home fans who all seemed friendly. The Club are facing the prospect of the Club being forced to leave the Den, if the local Lewisham Council go ahead to compulsorily purchase land around the stadium. Millwall F.C. - Reddit Because of this, he had to work extra hard to win the trust of his mates in his estate in the London suburb of Belvedere. it's a short hop (10 mins) on a train from there to South Bermondsey. Dark ground Moron fans Expensive beer Worst away day so far. The atmosphere from us was brilliant and we sung from the first until the last minute even if the Millwall fans didnt really get behind the team. Forest conceded a goal after just 22 seconds and then another later in the first half. The match tickets were very reasonably priced at 26. home fans friendly? However defeat here would end their hopes, so we were expecting a fiesty game. But you cant lose sight of the fact that some of them would hurt people simply for supporting another football team.. Calling all Millwall Taxi Companies Why not advertise your company here?. Getting away from the ground was really easy but we did have to wait for all the home fans to disperse. Summary of overall thoughts of the day out: The ground atmosphere was really good. This is a spooky place and the locals are hostile believe me. West Stand (Zampa Lower Family Area): I have to admit, I cheated on this one. Whilst there were occasions where they got right into the game, and right behind their players, there were large periods where they were very quiet. I was bit pushed for time so had a couple in the Pommelers Rest pub at London Bridge before jumping on the train to South Bermondsey. I think it was helped by it being the last day of the season, a fairly low-key game, and the beautiful weather of course. During the after-match lock-in, see below, I do feel that the bars could be kept open even if its only for hot drinks and snacks. We then took a tube journey on the Northern Line to London Bridge where we stopped for a few drinks. 48,672 v Derby County Another pub closed by Admiral Taverns - freehold on sale for an extortionate amount that will probably only appeal to a property developer. I strongly recommend The Den to anybody who gets a chance to go. The only thing which spoilt the day was some rather vile chanting from a small section of home support, directed towards several of our players. But first, they had to repair the damage of the initial disaster in The Old Castle. There is also the option of renting a private driveway near the Den via YourParkingSpace.co.uk. Golden Lion, South Bermondsey, London, SE16 3EP - pub details Eventually, we were lead up the path to the very crowded station. Note that several of these, including the Market Porter on Stoney Street, dont Perhaps it was the early kick off time, or the fact it was Boxing Day, but there were very few home supporters around. Away fans are housed in the upper tier of the North Stand, where facilities and the view of play are reported good, though the quality of food on offer is reportedly poor. 3-0 up away from home after 30 minutes is very unusual so we were in dreamland. After arriving at London Bridge Railway Station, we discovered that South Bermondsey station was closed and a replacement bus was provided. We then got the train from London Bridge to The Den. Most Leeds fans enjoy being hated (Dirty Leeds!) The Den is exactly that. Non- stop to Kings Cross in 90 minutes. Luke Fern a visiting Bolton Wanderers fan informs me; Inside the ground, the concourse is mostly concreted and looks very dull. There also bouncers on the door to turn away any potential troublemakers who might otherwise spoil the harmonious atmosphere. The stewards were very friendly, but then they are the same ones used at Charlton so they are used to Charlton fans. It's true this lock-in was very annoying, but sadly necessary, it's going to happen to any sizable away crowd at The Den if you don't like it don't go. However, it is hardly a relaxing day out and I found the Den to be quite intimidating. I had previously been to Old Den not the New Den and my team were playing. As for the home fans, you don't see that much of them at Millwall away because you're segregated almost instantly but those that we saw on the train (especially on the train back after the game) were in good spirits. This simple looking stand has the same characteristics as both ends with windshields to either side in the upper tier and with the upper tier slightly overhanging the lower tier. What you thought on seeing the ground, first impressions of away end then other sides of the stadium? The Muckers Was I a football hooligan? Bannon asks of himself. It was only mentioned over the PA System 20 minutes before the end of the game and quite frankly is ridiculous in 2019. Restaurants near Millwall Football Club, London on Tripadvisor: Find traveler reviews and candid photos of dining near Millwall Football Club in London, United Kingdom. Your email address will not be published. My husband's normal wing man Del Boy was away for the weekend so as per usual I stepped up, as I usually do. We noticed to our right, their were a group of about 100-200 Millwall fans on the end of the East upper creating a good atmosphere as well being situated next to the Leicester fans. And the fact my club had a great start to the season. Mick Hubbard adds; Also on Borough High Street is the George Inn, which is owned and leased by the National Trust. But, more than that, its in his presence. I wore my Boro scarf all day/night & never attracted any unwanted attention. After weighing up the options, we decided to use the clubs official travel. I had heard many rumours regarding the reputation of the club and in particular the Millwall fans so that was something that slightly concerned me, but the fact that it was a Capital One Cup tie I thought it may be much quieter than usual (a point that was proved to be right). The 90-minute tour went by quickly and would be very entertaining even if you dont support Millwall. I still wonder if this is because they wanted to drown out the away fans. Great service. Yes, I have been a few times before so wasnt to bothered about going again and this time it was to see a win at Millwall for QPR, the first time since 1990. Special thanks to Chris Hartford for providing some of the photos of the Den Millwall. It is probably best to travel to the New Den by taking the tube to London Bridge, on the Jubilee and Northern Lines, then the overland train to South Bermondsey station, which is only a few minutes walk from the ground, with a designated Millwall away fans walkway. If you are travelling by the train then you will find a few Town fans in pubs around Liverpool St, London Bridge and Borough Market. However, by train means you can meet in a pub at London Bridge and then take the train to South Bermondsey. A decent range of ales. The atmosphere was good. It was my first visit to the Den. What you thought on seeing the ground, first impressions of away end then other sides of the Den Stadium? The large police presence at the match I attended did nothing to dampen this feeling. We had a few beers on the concourse, which were a little bit cheaper than the pubs earlier. As I say, the chips were nice, and selling Somersby cider gets anyone some extra thumbs up from me! For obvious reasons, away fans are advised to keep drinking around the ground to a minimum. Where do I start? If you are travelling on train, I do not recommend wearing colours, as you will meet some of the home supporters. Although even as a Hartlepool United fan drinking in there on one of my many trips to watch millwall, I never had any bother and always had a good chat with a few lads just having a good (very good) drink before or after the game. Cold Blow Lane (Lower Tier): Although we never saw any trouble and we walked back to Surrey Quays tube station in the midst of all the Millwall supporters, we were always on our guard. A new ground for me. Judging by the reaction of my fellow fans it also happens every time they play Millwall. Norwich won it through something of a rarity a set-piece goal, with Christoph Zimmermann getting his ginormous bonce on the end of Emi Buendia's corner. It has an overall rating of three-and-a-half London Tower Bridge Premier Inn, 159 Tower Bridge Rd, London SE1 3LP is also in a great location for the city of London, a short walk from Tower Bridge and numerous popular tourist attractions. We got the train from London Bridge to South Bermondsey. Adults 31 (B 28) (C 26), Over 61s 21 (B 18) (C 16), Under 18s 17 (B 15) (C 13), Under 16s 14 (B 12) (C 10),Under 12s 9 (B 7) (C 5)** I recognise that my experience might have differed had I been there as a Forest fan and not a neutral, but the most important thing was that at no point did I feel intimidated or threatened both within the Millwall ground or around the Millwall fans, which would seem to bear out the good work the club has done to quell the hostility around it. Click here to check the current flight times. Arch 3, 75 Manchester Road Island Gardens E14 3DN. Afterwards, I'll be south of the border with Tucker Carlson on Fox News coast to coast at Developments such as CCTV and all-seater stadiums have done much to reduce football hooliganism. The game itself was fairly poor from our point of view due to the fact we failed to really make an attacking movement until the last twenty minutes. All Rights Reserved. Costa did brilliantly down the right, shimmying his way past a challenge from the left back. The toilet facilities were adequate for the number of fans and healthier than at some grounds because there was a smoking area. The Dens wide variety of renting spaces, many of which overlook the pitch, provide a comfortable environment for groups of various sizes. The Shipwright Arms, on Tooley Street, about 200 yards from the station, has received excellent reports from visiting fans. Millwall We then got off at Bermondsey tube station and walked to the ground after receiving numerous directions. It still happens, he says, but more covertly, away from the grounds. No meal deal so a pie and a pint is about 8.80 from memory. As I always say to my wife size isn't everything! I thought the Leicester fans were a bit monotonous of their chanting of 'Leicester, Leicester, Leicester'. Numerous He says, 'Well Ive got to drive. Bannon went to the toilet. Official Matchday Programme 3 Our first away win of the season and back to back wins. Whys he talking to him? As with many times watching Forest, a good day out spoiled by the 90 minutes of football. Barry Kitchener Stand (Upper Tier): As a French citizen who has lived in England for 35 years, I was keen to see what all the fuss was about. The corners of the ground are open, apart from one corner where there is a large video screen. 4. However inside the station, it was packed with football fans making their way to their respective games in London, plenty of West Ham fans were there especially. At the Den Millwall Bushwackers - Wikipedia I couldnt complain about my view in the upper tier however. Seems like rail works override all this! A doomed Rotherhithes pub historic courage sign is to become an art installation after being saved from the tip. We left London Bridge for South Bermondsey at around 1.45pm as it is only one stop down the line, As you may know away fans have their own walkway from South Bermondsey Station, directly to the away end, so finding the ground was no problem.

Romance Author Conventions 2023, Articles M

millwall pubs to avoid