tohatsu outboard won't start

If the vent is open but the tank looks sucked in, the vent may be clogged (infrequent, but it does happen). For a 4-stroke, several oil changes. If its flooded with salty , its best to soak it in fresh and agitate it. Very frustrated any hell would be appreciated. So you've just turned the key and nothing happens. Model MFS9.8A3EFL . Category, View The lower unit gear oil has already been added at the factory, however, you should check to ensure it is completely full before starting your outboard for the first time. This prevents the shift lever from being moved - when I line them up, I can move the shift lever into neutral or reverse. Or, it would be, if you hadn't seen this video on basic troubleshooting when your outboards won't start. I have a nice Tohatsu 3.5, 2-stroke and am currently exeriencing problems. He is the former editor of PropTalk Magazine and was the managing editor of the Waterway Guide. Just check to make sure its in neutral and try again. Marine Mat vs. Seadek: Need to Know Before Installed, Most Common Problems With Hurricane Boats, Common Problems With Suzuki 115 Four Stroke outboard Motor, 5 Most Common Problems With Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, 4 Most Common Problems With Yamaha SX210 Outboard, Most Common Problems with Evinrude ETEC 150, Most Common Problems with OMC Cobra Outdrive. In that case, check the conditions of the reed valves, cylinders, and spark plugs. Pull the starter rope through until all the water has been pumped out of the cylinder. My Yamaha 9.9s typically need the throttle to be goosed a few times for a cold start. In addition, critical parts are made of stainless steel and all outboards include a zinc anode. Look for oils bearing the FC-W trademark. I cannot start my Tohatsu 40 HP outboard with electric start. Fuel is new 87 octane, but does contain up to . Replace the hose ASAP! According to another group of Tohatsu motor users, similar things happen during acceleration. So next question - the lower hole has a split pin. Bilge Pump, Tires, Rims, & Hub What size shear pin do I need to use? Using pull start, not battery. Seats, Offshore Boat Hardware, Boat Trailer After 10 mins, I stopped it by pressing kill switch.). Boat, Boat Buyers Pull the starter rope through several times. Let's take a look at seven reasons why your outboard won't throttle up and how to fix them: Tangled Propeller Poor Gas Quality Clogged Fuel Filter Fuel Hose Replacement Faulty Impeller Bad Spark Plugs Malfunctioning Fuel Pump 1. Mechanic has apologised and sorted this. A bit beyond the scope of this post, which is simple things to check. We have put together a detailed section regarding propellers to help you determine which is the best prop for the job. If the fuel pump isn't primed, the motor may turn over without starting. Could that bump cause a safety switch to stop engine or cause the timing to get knocked out of line? I have always had a really hard time starting this Mercury 4 stroke 6HP outboard. I hit a stump and now all it will do is pop and try to run, but will not start. Towers, Tow Ropes & Manufacturer, Boat Tables & If the leak is on the pressure side (between the bulb and the motor), youll usually be able to see where the fuel is leaking. I have a 2001 tracker targa with an internal fuel tank. Pump the squeeze bulb a few times (since my hands are holding the fuel hose and screwdriver, I use my foot if theres no one else in the dinghy) and see if there is good fuel flow with each squeeze. One thing to remember is that even if you only use your outboard a couple of times a year you still need to have your impeller checked/replaced every year. Or could it be something else ? Not a spark problem. ");b!=Array.prototype&&b!=Object.prototype&&(b[c]=a.value)},h="undefined"!=typeof window&&window===this?this:"undefined"!=typeof global&&null!=global?global:this,k=["String","prototype","repeat"],l=0;lb||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split(". Boat Repair, Boat Paint & If so, stop the engine and restart and the lamp should go off quickly. Also, not all the outboard motor models of Tohatsu have overheating chances since the latest versions are featured with advanced heat resistance technology. BUT and this is the important part the vast majority of problems do not require any special knowledge to find and fix at least well enough to get home. Yes, you can disconnect it if you know what youre doing. This is the reference reading. Correct operation during the break-in period will prolong the life of your new outboard and will ensure optimum performance. You must log in or register to reply here. All, Anchor & Well, if you also encounter a similar type of issue on your Tohatsu outboard, make sure to check and investigate the condition of your motors fuel, air & fuel filters, sparks, carbs. Covers, Boat Shrink Wrap and suggested that I drain it and refill with 12-13 oz even though it would read a bit low on the dipstick. Tubes, Shop I have a 88 Bayliner Capri that will only start with the choke button being pressed and held there. Do Tohatsu outboards come with lower unit oil already installed from the factory? Remove the entire starter assembly with the three bolts holding it to the engine block. View High Power Series; Feel the Extreme MID-RANGE 25-140HP. Don't get stuck at the boat ramp - fix your outboards fast, with these basic troubleshooting tips. Currently showing the international website. When you back down the ramp, turn the key, and nothing happens, it's a problem. Blocks, Marine Replenish as needed. Compression is good . I have a new supply fuel line, checked tightness and sprayed for leaks no problem. For million $$$ sponsorships (or just wanna chat) hit me up at skinnyriveroutdoors@gmail.comI strive to make useful jon boat, small outboard, and small stream fishing vids. Category: Boat. The carb is a piece of crap, it floods in a heartbeat. It both caught the bottom, and was put into forward gear. I also pulled the fuel supply hose off the carburetor, and pressed the bulb. The gas tank is clean, the fuel filter is new, and the fuel pump works fine. As with any outboard used in saltwater, it is recommended you thoroughly flush your motor with freshwater after each use. Do NOT use the squeeze bulb that will further flood the motor! See the squeeze bulb section immediately above. https://youtube.com/watch?v=2wcBdanz1oE 8HP to 9.8HP Tohatsu Outboards OnlineOutboards.ca If you are still having problems locating a dealer near you, please call our office at 469-771-3740 (Office hours are Mon - Fri 8AM - 5PM , Central time). boats.com is part of the Boats Group Network. Try varying the throttle position a little. This was very unusual because that is a great motor, and it has always started on the first or second pull since I bought it 3 years ago. I don't have any water coming from the "tell tale" water hole on my outboard. Many fuel hoses have a liner, which can delaminate and more or less wad up (see my post about this). Tohatsu outboards are formulated to use E0-10 ethanol fuels only. Lets find out the actual worth of this new generation Blackfin Boats. We also recommend changing the oil in the Fall before the weather turns cold. Goosing it a few times sprays some gas into the throat that helps it start, and it is necessary almost all the time. It finally started about an hour later. Of course, we're barely scratching the surface of what can go . Shop If you do not add oil, you will severely damage your outboard. I have a force forty outboard engine. How do I order replacement parts for my Tohatsu outboard? I decided to blog about the repair in the hope it helps someone with a similar problem. What should you check first? i have a f25elh mercury four stroke it will run fine and get you as far as you want to go but when you shut it off it will not start back up. But when he pulled off the bottom plug, the engine immediately died. Kept trying every 15 min or so. Generally most boats need either a short or long shaft although some boats require a 25" shaft (ultra-long shaft) outboard. I pressed the start button on the engine and could see the steady spark in the spark plug. Riptide Terrova 80 Trolling Motor w/i-Pilot & Bluetooth, Inflatable Always read your own owner's manual and service manual and understand all safety items for your specific boat and motor. If Tohatsu 4-Cycle Oil is not available we recommend using an NMMA Certified FC-W 4-cycle oil formulated for use in outboard engines. 6. But quite often, one of these simple issues is all that's holding you back from a day of boating. Water pump impellers are made from rubber and will deteriorate over time even without being used (commonly referred to as "dry rot"); this can be just as damaging to your water pump as wear and tear. Hardware, Boat A fierce windstorm blew across the lake one night, and I wanted to check on my boat early the next morning to make sure everything was ok. I love sharing what I'm learning along the way and helping others get into sailing. Varnish, Marine Adhesives, 4. Remove one spark plug wire and spark plug. What started as lessons with my kids has turned into sailing certifications, a captain's license, and a life long hobby that takes us sailing all over the world. If that happens, particularly if it was a . Start the engine and run it for a while. Overfilling the crankcase with oil will cause running problems! This . If you encounter overheating issue, make sure to check the plugs, thermostat, impeller, coolant ports, blown head gasket, and exhaust system for possible cracks, leaks, loose connection, or blockage because of corrosion. Tohatsu offers the best outboard motors, including the 250 hp, 225 hp, 200 hp and 150 hp. The break-in period is the most critical time in the life of your Tohatsu outboard. !b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),d=1;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if(c){d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(r){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"? For example, an emissions label may show a motor was produced in 2013, but the MSO may show that it is a 2014 model year outboard. We've put together a handy chart to help you calculate the amount of oil/gas to mix. There is a significant possibility of boating, Read More Marine Mat vs. Seadek: Need to Know Before InstalledContinue, Hurricane is widely known for its passion for offering fishing and deck boats, represent the perfect combination of exceptional quality, comfort, and performance. Are there contacts somewhere I can check or clean? All, Boat Bimini NOTE: Always wear the kill cord read more here about why and an easy way to do it if you need your hands free. Check out all the special deals from our podcast sponsors! Products, Carbon Monoxide & Use our handy database to locate the dealers in your area! Dont just look at it generally, if its even a tiny bit out of place, it will stop the engine or prevent it from starting. First thing to try would be cleaning the carb, particularly if it only runs if you continue to press the choke. When used in salt water we also recommend you lubricate the driveshaft splines and hardware while changing your water pump and the lower unit has been removed. & Live Bait If you squeeze the bulb and smell gas, you almost certainly have a cracked, cut or nicked fuel hose between the bulb and the motor, or the fuel line is not securely connected to the motor. Fishing Lures, Fishing Rod Holders & 95% of starting problems are caused by the same group of things and dont require a mechanic. Accessories, Marine DC Power Plugs It has run fine for years, is kept clean and fresh water cleansed after each use. Its usually best to replace the spark plug, particularly in salt water. If it is from 20" to 22" long you'll need our "long" shaft outboard. I am not an expert mechanic. Covers, Other troll around your local lake? Granted the flywheel puller is a little pricey but its worth a shot. This overheating ultimately led the engine to shut down. The brand is popular for its Deck, Runabout, Bowrider, Cruisers, Ski, and Wakeboard models, among others. I have a 50 Tohatsu and its got same problem. Hi Carolyn Hope all is well! Other factors to be taken into account are the weight of the boat, weight of passengers/gear, and your expected use of the boat (do you want to water ski? Remove the spark plug This will repeat a number of times and then will run ok untill I get to where I am going. If that happens, particularly if it was a cold start, you can now start it using your typical cold start procedure with choking it, etc. My Tohatsu 3.5 2 stroke outboard has developed a problem this weekend. You can find Tohatsu 2-stroke outboard motor oil at your local dealer. Fuel usually will squirt out immediately. This problem occurs with all outboard motors at some point either because of the users operational errors or technical and electrical faults. Then let the outboard run for a minute until it burns all the excess fuel out of the carburetor bowl. Click here. Also, check where the fuel line attaches to the motor we once had an outboard where the fuel hose had been bent almost 90 downward coming off the hose barb, basically crimping it (I have no idea how it happened, probably in loading something large into the dinghy). If you have an electric-start motor, it may be that the battery is low or dead. And note that it may be a hose clamp that has come loose, or its possible for the squeeze bulb to have a crack in it (sunlight takes a toll on both the hose and bulb). Parts, Inflatable It doesnt matter what brand of outboard you have or whether its 2-stroke or 4-stroke. The secret to rescuing your motor is speed and following a couple of simple steps. And my kitchen shears fit the bill. But make sure cut out key is removed when turning over in gear. You are using an out of date browser. Accessories, Boat This is normal and should go off after a few seconds. A number of months ago it began to sputter and require some playing of the choke to keep it running. 4. Check that the fuel line isnt kinked or under something that could partially block the flow. I am not responsible for your boat, motor, and am not responsible for keeping you safe. #2. & If there's a bigger problem, however, we can still help. What is the ratio of oil and gas that I need to mix for my Tohatsu 2-Stroke or TLDI outboard? But fortunately, this overheating problem is not an error caused by manufacturer negligence or assembling error. How can I get a service and/or parts manual for my Tohatsu outboard? If youre a mechanic-type and know outboards, great. NO!!! Deals, Paint & Maintenance If it is from 15" to 17" long you'll need to get a Tohatsu outboard with a "short" shaft. Troubleshooting Outboard Motor Magneto Ignitions Fluke Corporation 3 Measure the contact resistance as follows: place the multimeter in the function and hold the probe tips tightly together to obtain a reference reading with the tips shorted. And, Mercury Optimax 225 has a good reputation in this category. Then when you get home it will fire right up and run fine. I pulled one of the spark plugs out, made sure it looked clean, and holding the insulated wire, I touched the end of the spark plug against a bolt on the engine. Now, Shop Many outboards will not start in gear. Take your outboard to your nearest dealer for inspection. Making sure your boat is properly maintained is an important part of having fun. Cable, Marine Batteries & The Right Fit, Shop By Locks, Boat Deck Using those links helps the channel!-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. However, stainless steel shear pins won't break as easily as brass shear pins when accelerating quickly or when shifting gears. And What are the things you should know, Read More Are Crownline Boats Good & Reliable Enough To Own?Continue, Blackfin claims that legend lives on their new generation boat models, which feature a yacht-like, high-end design and innovative structure. Such problems with Mercury Optimax 225 are also common with some other popular brands. Now, the gear lever is stuck in forward, and the engine won't start as we can't pull the pull cord. The boats have an innovative design which makes them stand out the most. Is that essential, or will a split pin do? Maintenance, Fiberglass & Epoxy Dollies, SportsStuff Great Big I have a Mercury 2016 60hp 4 stroke motor. Hardware, Boat Seat Trolling Motors, Shop ":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}}function B(){var b={},c;c=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(!c.length)return{};var a=c[0];if(! We recommend you change your impeller every year at a minimum depending on the amount of use you put on your outboard. (e in b.c))if(0>=c.offsetWidth&&0>=c.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{d=c.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=d.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);d=d.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+d;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.g.height&&d<=b.g.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.c[e]=!0)}y.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&z(this,b)};u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){x.checkImageForCriticality(b)});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){A(x)});function A(b){b.b={};for(var c=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],d=0;d

Grandmaster Jay Nfac Net Worth, How To Find Demand Function From Marginal Revenue, Articles T

tohatsu outboard won't start